I am officially No Contact--a happy thread!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am officially No Contact--a happy thread!

Hello Wonderful SR Friends!

I know that I have decided that I want a divorce, but I haven't quite gotten that far yet. I need to hire a lawyer and get going, and I do plan to do that soon. However, I finally sent AH an email telling him that I need to have time to myself, and that I'm not trying to be hurtful, but I don't want to talk or see each other right now. It's weird how much I agonized over what turned out to be like a 2 sentence email. But it worked! AH has not contacted me. And for the first time, I feel like I can make my own plans (or not) without worrying about or dreading whether I have to talk to or see AH. What a relief. It's like letting a breath out after a really long time.

And guess what else? I actually made a female friend in my neighborhood, and she invited me to go out tomorrow night with her and her friends. I don't really have any friends around here who aren't busy with kids and family (I don't have kids), so I can't even remember the last time I got to go out for a girls' night. We are going to go to an art show event in the art district, then dancing. I met her as a workout buddy, and it turns out she is a 5 year sober recovered alcoholic. So, she doesn't drink, and she totally gets my situation. I'm so glad to get to go out with a girlfriend who doesn't just want to get wasted. Given my situation with AH, I never thought I would be grateful to make friends with an alcoholic, but I really think it is a gift from God.

So here's to no contact and new friends! Wow, it IS possible to get my life back!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A 7.5 year sober alcoholic just entered my life. He has done his work, it shows. He is very self-aware and always seeking the positive.
Yes, a recovered alcoholic can be a terrific blessing when all you have known is an active one.
Congrats to you.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you sound really great, sasha. i must say, i'm quite impressed with how you came here, researched, soul searched and took such strong, immediate action to leave an unhealthy situation.

and i'm delighted you have a new friend who understands first-hand the devastation of alcohol.

enjoy your evening out!
Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sasha - I have been following your threads and am very happy that you are finding serenity. One the most wonderful things about being in recovery is getting to witness the transformation of people like yourself. We come into the rooms (or forums) driven by our pain and confusion, ask for help, research our options, start making healthy choices based on what is best for us, and our lives get better! I love to see it happen! It makes me very grateful for my own "moment of clarity" when I first got up the courage to ask for help. Thank you for sharing, John
Old 01-07-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Yay No Contact! And Yay Girls Night!! I am excited for you. Hope your new friend can give healthy perspective. Have fun!!