Need guidance

Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need guidance

Very long story short, my brother (he's 21 and I'm 24) was arrested for possession of marijuana a little less than a year ago. He's also addicted to prescription painkillers, specifically roxies (roccacets). His arrest was the first strike, he relapsed with the roxies and just today my dad called me to tell me my brother had stolen a good amount of money over the past month or so for drugs and alcohol.

That was his 3rd strike. I feel like we don't have any other options than to kick him out. We can't afford rehab. There is a Salvation Army adult rehab center not too far away, that's the only option I can think of. Are we doing it right?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sounds to me like you're doing it right. You can't let him continue to steal from you and if he's determined to live that lifestyle, it's on him. He may not stay at the Salvation Army, but it's a good program and he'll have to follow their rules. If he doesn't, they won't keep him.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stopping giving him a place to live, food,etc.IS the right thing to do..he needs to face the consequences of his addiction.I suggest alanon or naranon for the family..really helps!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

drwho1986: Welcome to SR. You will find a lot of wisdom here. My advice is to read the stickies at the top, especially the one that has "10 Ways Family Members Can Help a Loved One with a Drug or Alcohol Problem."

My advice also is that before you approach your family about how to handle this thing with your brother that you do your own homework and educate yourself about addiction and the best ways for family members to help their addicted loved one. There is a lot to this thing we call addiction! There is also the 12-step group for family members called "Alanon" or another group called "Naranon" that is a great source of support.

Good luck. Keep coming back! Pretty soon you'll find yourself giving advice to people in the same boat you are!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're definitely on the right track here. Kick him out, and do it before he steals anything else.

The Salvation Army program is a great program if he could get in. Problem is unless he wants to go, he probably won't stay. You have no control over whether he stays or not, you do have control over whether or not he comes back to your home.

I vote "out of your home!"

Hugs & Prayers, Devastated