Notices

One day at a time?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

One day at a time?

I have been thinking why one day at a time. Why not be in the "here and now" as I think meditation is supposed to provide? Thank you Artsoul for writing to OklaBH "one day (one hour) at a time". It gave me impetus to ask. I'm not talking just about meditation though, when I have tried it my mind seemed to race more. No wonder, I'm still toxic, but will practice until I get it right because I believe thats where the HP is. Get a hobby isn't bad advice either if it keeps your mind off of needless thoughts. Right now (not exactly in the "here and now") I am on this web site for help, hopefully without time for needless thoughts. I understand I have an addictive nature, and have been on this web site for such a long time since I found it, I thought; am I getting addicted to the internet? Or is that a needless worry. I've been told you can get addicted to meditation also.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have heard it also expressed as,

"One day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time"...whichever you need to help you in early sobriety. I think this is totally in line with being in the here and now.

Staying in the day, or present moment, versus in the past, or future.

I think that is exactly what the one day at a time concept is about.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know if you would be interested in this, but I found when I was first learning meditation, I started off using 'guided meditations.' You can find tons of them on iTunes or audible.com. Having someone's voice to listen to, while practicing breathing, etc., helped me to cease my mind.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, there are healthy addictions and unhealthy ones...I think meditation falls in "healthy" and the internet depends on what you are doing with the internet...lol.

I have a friend with 15 years sobriety...he meditates daily and does Bikram Yoga 6 days a week...he gives both these practices a lot of credit in his success.

ODAAT hasn't played a big role for me after the first few weeks. Yes I strive to live in the present but not for the sake of sobriety...but that's just me, I haven't needed it. If I ever get a craving I hope I can remember to think ODAAT though