Notices

Hello...

Old 01-06-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

Hello...

Hi everyone this is my first post and I'm not really sure what to say I'm new to all this and not quite sure how to start. I'll just say that I hope this can be a place for me to vent and get some moral support and get that damn little devil off my shoulder. I'll come clean and say that I am not 100% sober yet but I am trying and hopefully I'll find my way. Sometimes it's nice just to be able to talk.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

Welcome invisgoth! Glad you are here and hope to hear more from you soon!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome invisigoth! Vent away! You will find a lot of support here.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

Wow, thanks perhaps this can work after all. A positive first step taken!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by invisigoth View Post
Wow, thanks perhaps this can work after all.
Welcome!!!

That would be your choice.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! SR is a great place for support and advice! We are glad to have you with us
Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by invisigoth View Post
I'll come clean and say that I am not 100% sober yet but I am trying and hopefully I'll find my way.
No better time to quit drinking than today. Right now!

Welcome
Old 01-06-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It all starts with taking action, and you've done that. Good for you! You'll find lots of people here who have been through exactly what you're experiencing, formed a plan, and then put it into action.

The hardest thing for me—the thing that kept me drinking for three or four years after I realized I needed to quit—was imagining what I life would be like without alcohol; what would I do every night? How boring! How cold and empty! Turns out life is SOOOOOOO much better on the other side. Good things await you!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi invisigoth! Welcome... is that name from a novel? I read one years ago that had invisigoths in it, it was about people eating these feathers to journey mentally... You will find support here and reading the experiences of others may be helpful as well. I am glad you are with us!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi invisigoth!

Welcome, this is my first time here too and it's my birthday today. I am sober 5 years and hope to provide some help for the newcomer. Simply from not drinking things started to fall into place, I remember that a few people said "Wow do you look better" little things like that started to happen. In the beginning I attended as many AA meetings as possible, I did 90 meetings in 90 days.

Good luck,

The first step is always difficult, the rewards will come!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey invisigoth:

Glad you made it!!

I don't know if you've taken a gander at The Big Book yet (the AA manual), but if you get some time, you might want to take a peek. I went to an AA meeting in August of 2009 and was given one. I took it home, stuck it in a drawer and never opened it. I didn't go back to AA either because I thought for sure it was something I could do on my own (and trust me, you will hear that over and over and over again from folks who are and have been exactly where you are, right now). I wish I would have just read ONE story. Just one, and maybe I wouldn't have gone down the road I did for the following year. Dunno. Doesn't matter now. But trust me, they only continue to get darker...

But when I finally DID open the book and start reading... wow. Yep, that's me. Yep, that's me, Yep, yep, yep, yep. It was like someone opened my head and put all that inner ME stuff in book form, for me to stare at.

My first REAL AA meeting (when I finally owned I was powerless), I was so scared, embarrassed, ashamed -- I went with someone who is currently in AA, but I can tell you, it was all I could do to walk through that door.

To my utter and astounded amazement... not one ounce of condemnation or judgment from anyone. They all said hello and smiled at me with such warmth and acceptance, so glad I had made it through the door, I nearly started bawling right then and there. After the meeting started and I listened to the people talk (it was a discussion meeting), I knew for certain I was where I needed to be. Even though we were all from different walks of life, there was absolutely no denying (for me anyway) the common truths that came out of every one of them (and was my truth as well).

They all want to get better, and they all want each other to get better. I've never experienced anything like it in my life.

Not pushing it on you, at all... just sharing.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. By admitting that you need to get that damn little devil off my shoulder you've taken some positive action. Best to deal with it now before it turns into a 900 pound gorilla.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome

I heard someone say:

"I could not stay sober, you could not stay sober, but together we can stay sober."

One alcoholic helping another. A "We" program.

There are many people here to help, so yes, you have found a good place!

Another person in AA that I know would say, "Now, what's the plan?" !
Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You'll find a lot of support and useful information here.

Live long and prosper!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome invisigoth - nice name

D
Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Hi invisigoth! Welcome... is that name from a novel? I read one years ago that had invisigoths in it, it was about people eating these feathers to journey mentally... You will find support here and reading the experiences of others may be helpful as well. I am glad you are with us!
I ripped the name off from an X-FILES episode. :-p
Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome. It has taken me 4 years to get 35 days sober. It can be a process, doesn't have to be, but for me it was. I had to come to the point where I really admitted and believed that I was powerless over alcohol. I said it right away when I quit 4 years ago, but I didn't believe until recently. Talk is cheap. It's much more important what we do, rather than what we think.

I'm glad you are taking positive steps in your life. Please stick around long enough to expierience the miracle to not obsess about the first drink!!! Good luck to you!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR, glad you found us
Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome. Lots of great support here. If you are into chatting check out the chat room.

Great pic of the "evil" Spock BTW.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome! Definitely a place to vent and find support