Notices

learning how to deal with my law problems

Old 01-05-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

learning how to deal with my law problems

This last 3 days has been really hard for me. I got a 2nd DUI when coming back from Florida to Georgia. I was not planing on this that's for sure but now I can't change the past. The weird thing about it is that I'm was doing so much better. I was not drinking that much anymore and try to keep myself out of trouble because I'm looking for a job. But stupid me, I didn't want the drinking to need and I need to get back home. Trying to learn how to deal with anxiety and sleeplessness.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

try to keep looking forward ACT10Npack

D
Old 01-05-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Face it all but only focus on what you need to deal with today.

In the first few months of recovery I had sleeping probs. I phoned a friend at 2am one morning and said I cant sleep and he said great nor can I now He suggested that I actually dont fight it, get up make it my day but listen to my boday and sleep when it was ready.

I did that and slowly my sleeping pattern became more normal.

It all takes time but if I have the tools and the support its all very doable.

Kevin
Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am finding the anxiety / paranoia the worst part.

ATM my wife drives me to and from work, but you know those little handles near the windshield? I call those the "HOLY $H!T" handles and many a time I grab it simply because I am so scared for no reason.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

lol yeah I call them the Jesus bars, cos I grab them and say Jesus.

do you have other alkies/addicts in recovery to call and do you have a program or peer support group? I am in NA and had tried everything, after 19 years clean I relapsed for 11 years and now I am an NA member and teh support of other members is a must for me, every day.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

It's normal to feel anxious going through what you're going through. Completely normal. It sounds like you might have learned something from this? If so, that's a great thing man.

call those the "HOLY $H!T" handles
lol yeah I call them the Jesus bars, cos I grab them and say Jesus.
Guys guys guys! You've got it all wrong - the little bars on the doors are the "Oh Sh!t Bars" and the big bar in front of the passenger is the "Oh Phuck Bar." As an aside, if the driver is holding onto any of these bars during vehicle movement that is the opposite of good.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

just on this board for now
Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Action,

I'm sorry that you are going through this.

Have faith that things will work out the way they should.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

The legal problems are a symptom of the problem, not the problem in it self. I can appreciate the concerns about the symptoms, but treating the symptoms won't arrest the problem. It certainly won't prevent more of the same and worse.

Helping cut the consequences may prolong the illness. I choose to help people out of their hell as quickly and painlessly as possible. To do otherwise seems cruel to me. I've never disliked any one enough to help them stay in the kind of hell I was in.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Got my 2nd dui 12-02-10. It feels insurmountable at times, but for the most part, I try to focus on the good that will eventually come out of it. Keep posting as things progress, we are here for you!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dismember

I have two on my record as well and only just got off a long probation spell. It wasn't pleasant, thinking about what I'd done and all the legal consequences that followed. But honestly I am surprised at how resilient my life has been.

In getting community service work I ended getting in at a really awesome place and while never paid for anything I did I now have a pretty awesome addition to my resume. I lost my license, and while I could get it back (I'd have to pay $800 to the state of Michigan first) I've come to realize I really don't want to own one.

Not saying that the 2nd DUI was a good thing, but bad scenarios only kick you down if you never or quit looking for ways to turn them around.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Getting my 2nd dui got me into AA and got me sober.

It's not always fun, it's hard work, awkward at times, painful at times, but it's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

I finally get "it". ...and for that, I'm very grateful.

Kjell
Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You're not alone. I got my first/last dui in August. My car ran off the road because of another driver hitting the brakes, and it rolled a few times. So there's a bad situation that just got worse. Was alcohol the promlem? Possibly. Doesn't matter though, I ended up with a written off car and a DUI, and a whole lot of legal business pending. There's 12k in losses of an owned car, but pay a consolidation loan for the balance, then there's 5k to my attorney, could hit 6,500, probably 1-2k in fines and for all I know, jail if the judge doesn't think I've suffered enough, reliving this every day of my life.

Yeah, alcohol is frickin OUT of my life forever! It did nothing but screw things up my whole life anyway and I was looking to stop drinking because I was feeling like hell and spending money on my evening (at home) drinks too often.

Good luck. I hope you realize, as I have, that some people may drink.... and that's fine. Others on the other hand either do it or leave it completely. I am an all or nothing sort of person, so it's GONE! Immediately disowned by me that night... for good.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I now decided to quit drinking all together. It's just making my life worst and I'm not the type of person that can handle trouble will. I just want to get through the and start my life over again. Alcohol free.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for us! We now have one less master in life to deal with. It's just a matter of clearing up the legal BS and it's home free!

Honeslty, I've got to say, the DUI is a blessing in some ways. From that night, I have never fantasized about, or affectionately thought about alcohol. I have since then, resented it for what I allowed it to inflict upon my life.

There's no turning back. We're better off now than we've ever been before, just a little depressed about what's ahead. Or, a lot depressed about what's ahead. But at least we will never face this BS EVER AGAIN!

Lots of cold water helped me. I packed my fridge full of bottled water (I buy them by the case) and sip on one constantly. That and cases of gingerale.... just to sip on something. It helped. My hand and mouth were usually busy. They filled that void perfectly.

For the anxiety, I relax, do some deep breathing therapy for about three minutes and I feel like a million bucks.

Way to go!!!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One Day U Will Realize How Lucky You Are

You didn't kill yourself or anyone else ! That is the first thing to be
grateful for. Decide here and now never to drive drunk/drugged again. If
you can do those two things you can start on your road to sobriety.

I never got a DWI (by some miracle) but I still almost lost my life and
family. I have 21 months (the longest I've been sober in 52 years) and you
know what 8 life does get so much better!