Notices

Saw the relapse coming!!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink Saw the relapse coming!!!!

Hello everyone glad to have found this site to get some support. January 16th 2011 I would have been 4yrs clean. I relapsed on Christmas eve taking that drink and then using into Christmas Day.

Just moved away from GA to NC with my two younger boys leaving behind my older daughters and grands, my job had laid me off lost my home back in GA, did get a job after 3 months living here with the same co. I was working for in Georgia, then had to find an apartment once settling in I found myself being argumentive about my paycheck, my job, people, my older daughters, my car, worrying,being complacent, holidays, wanting things my way, being impatient and having no faith. I was definitely in relapse mode.

Drinking and using of course did not make me feel better and it was no different then the past. I used for over 20 yrs and was mandated to go into a rehab in Georgia which I was so glad to be in after hitting rock bottom and life became so unmanagable and just letting out what I held in for years, I did 13 months and saw my childrens faces when dfcs took them away from me and I had told myself not ever again will I take my family through this again.

Going to church is not enough so now I need more, found meetings to attend on my day off and to meet other recovering addicts and now working step 3. I hope to meet people on this site and I know they understand. Today I'm clean and sober and keeping the faith. I also have too much time on my hand so really trying to get involved and do things different such as praying more, step work anything that will keep me clean and sober.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Luvlife

Welcome to SR - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Welcome, and I'm glad you joined us! There are so many great people here it's unbelievable. The experience and support you'll find here are unmatched anywhere I've found.

Sorry you slipped, but I'm happy you decided to make it a short-term thing and to get right back on the recovery train. I'm sure it can be difficult moving to a new place (been in Metro Atlanta my whole life, so not a lot of experience there), but I hope you're able to meet some new sober friends and get involved in a recovery program. I wish you the best with your work and living situations.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome luvlife! Glad you have a plan to attend more meetings. Look forward to reading more from you.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by luvlife48 View Post
...once settling in I found myself being argumentive about my paycheck, my job, people, my older daughters, my car, worrying,being complacent, holidays, wanting things my way, being impatient and having no faith. I was definitely in relapse mode.

Drinking and using of course did not make me feel better...
Welcome luvlife, and thanks for the share. Serves as a warning to us who may be getting lax in our recovery, or who can't explain the restless feelings that we thought would go away when we got sober.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Good for you for coming back so soon! When I moved from NC to MI, I went to meetings at first but didn't like the way they "did" AA. So I started staying sober on my own. That lasted for a little over a year before I had that glass of wine over dinner. That turned into a 10 year drinking binge.
I have been back for 16 months now and I love AA! It wasn't the AA here, it was me. I have a sponsor, I work the steps, I go to meetings and I do service work. I have a new life.
Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. I am looking forward to hearing you share more.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Wow. Your story just shook me. 4 years and then to relapse. You have a lot that you can teach us.

But look at you. You didn't keep it up.....you've reached out. You sound like you are back on the path. I'm so glad you're here...and I do hope you'll stay and share your story.

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Luvlife,

I am so glad that you are here seeking support and we do understand.

And, good for you for dealing with your relapse quickly. With 4 years of sobriety behind you, I'm sure you know that you can do this again.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Luvlife, welcome to SR and good for you for picking yourself up after your slip and starting over. I hope you do what your name says "love life".
Old 01-05-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, luvlife. I'm glad you are trying something different this time. That is a smart move, I think. And I'm glad you are here.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome luvlife. I'm glad you found your way here. With your 4 years, which is awesom, I look forward to learning from you. I'm glad to see that you found all the triggers that caused the relapse. Very happy that you are sober today. Keep working it luv!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Luvlife

Welcome to SR - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Welcome.. good to have you Here!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...
glad to see a new member
Old 01-05-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome LL....glad you are here!! I have to say your post scares me.....I will be a year sober in a few weeks,and you just reconfirmed my thinking...that it can and does happen..relapsing is a part of this disease/addiction.....we are here for you!!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome

I too stepped away from the program after 9 years and relasped 8 months later and am grateful for a solution in the steps today. I enjoy sharing this journey with you. Keep posting!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome! Way to go on getting back to sobriety! Look forward to seeing you around the forum!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

WOW!! 4 years!! I wish I could 1 month! God bless ya!! you will pull through! Just a mistake and you need to move on, its in the past now!