Notices

Seven days sober....

Old 01-04-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seven days sober....

Well, it has been a full 7 days (8 actually, I guess now), since I quit drinking.

And it kinda feels like a bit of an anti-climax.

I thought I would be elated that I have actually gone a whole week without drinking, that I would be so proud of myself, and so excited and enthusiastic about it, but I'm not. I'm not sure why. It seems like AGES ago that I quit. Not just a week. I'm still terrified that I'll relapse or give up.

I want to be at the six month mark, and be sure that this is for real, that I no longer have to explain anything to anyone. At the one year mark when maybe I won't come home and remember how nice it was (ugghh!!) to have that first sip of wine.

I haven't really missed drinking, or even thought about it that much, and I have been here daily, reading and checking in. So I'm doing good, day by day.

Yikes, sorry for the depressing post. I am proud of myself. I guess I just want this whole "new to recovery phase" over already!! If that makes any sense....?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

I would take the anti-climax for what it is. Maybe you'll find elation later, maybe you wont.

Just hold in mind the question, when was the last time drinking lead to a big climax for you?

At least for me, the answer was sometime back in 2006.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That is an accomplishment.

Keep up the good work.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Seven days ...GOOD JOB! It is the same..drunk or sober..you will have good days..bad days..and blah days. With clarity..so at least you will know you are going thru a mood. Gotta love that..I do. But no more hangovers. Couldn't ask for anything finer than that!!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

very cool. Recovery will last forever and you will just look at it is a great way to live. I think its good you aren't doing loop de loops. Some people go through a euphoria phase when they first stop drinking and forget to watch for triggers and mind tricks.
It probably does seem like a long time since you stopped drinking because you were aware the whole time. Good Job!
SH
Old 01-04-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Way to go! Stay sober, things will smooth out.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Cangrats on 7 (or 8) days peanuts! You can get to that six month mark...it is up to you. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats! 7 days is huge

First 6 weeks of my sobriety, I was very tired, edgy, scatterbrained, etc. But it sure beat that constant hangover . Lately I've realized that sobriety has evened out the peaks and valleys of my emotions. My highs aren't manic, out of control highs (a GOOD thing!), and my lows aren't that bad.

Stay the course... Sobriety can be a fun ride
Old 01-05-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stanleyhouse has a good point. I've had a lot of euphoric moments just walking my dog and running errands, and while I enjoy them, part of me is a little wary of that feeling. I worry it could lead to overconfidence. Also, I feel like it's not really working out those weak little "sobriety muscles." So I'm starting to embrace the low times as well; getting through those sober is the real challenge, and an important achievement!

Hoping ultimately for less up, less down, just more of that smooth ride Least is talking about...