Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Ok, Second Day and Close to the End of Work and Feeling the Urge

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Second day and this afternoon is getting hard. Any suggestions on how to get through this part of it. I was so happy this morning and then all of the sudden I started thinking just one before I get home but I know that will turn into about 10, if not more, by the end of the night. I don't want this to start all over again.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Closing out the work day will never change, so the thing to change is how you close it out. New habits and a new outlook. Instead of taking alcohol home, you can choose to take bottled water home, or buy a whole case and stock the fridge with them. From now on you keep your money in your account and you sip on cleansing ice cold water. If you feel fidgety, buy twizzlers or something and nibble. Eating earlier may help curtail urges too. It's definately healthier than eating late, like drunks do.. hahaha

Your mind and body are just starting to recover. There's no turning back. There's only one last drink and had yours. From here on out it's all about changing habits and waving the addiction goodbye.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know how you feel jude70. I use to do that all the time. Don't feel like drinking in the money but end up drinking after work. Found something you can do do get your mind out drinking alcohol. Do what ispysobriety says or talk to someone that you truth about this and it will go away. Good luck
Old 01-04-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks to both of you! I will stop and pick up some sparking water on the way home. That is kind of like a drink. Bubbly and cold.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

jude70 remember when you buy the sparking water or whatever drink you like beside alcohol to remember to avoid the alcohol section. So you will not give you a reason to buy a 6 pack or 2.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I used AVRT at times like that. It's just the addictive voice so I acknowledged it and didn't give it much head space. It's to be expected and it'll pass.

I'd also be a little impatient with myself (doesn't work for everyone) but just kind of 'cop on. you're not 2. you can want something and not have it. it's not all about you'. That helped.

In time I started to crave other things. Now, I crave a new tea or hot chocolate. Or the gym. Or chocolate. Lots of different treats.

It's tough though I remember! Sometimes hour by hour. But it DOES pass. I'm only 4 months in and cravings are very very rare for me now.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

Get a support network. There are people who have been where you are, and know the way out. No need to go this alone. And I don't mean some people you can bullsh_t on the internet. F2F people.

If odd makers in Vegas were to review your situation, where do you think smart money would be?

On you trying it on your own,

Or you with a world wide support network, with no limitations, decades of experience, and unlimited resources?

You in this to win, or are you just experimenting?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep remembering how good you felt this morning. You'll feel even better tomorrow morning if you don't drink today.
When you stop to get your sparkling water, pick up some flowers for your wife (much better way to spend the money).
Old 01-04-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You in this to win, or are you just experimenting?[/QUOTE]

No, I'm in this to win there is no doubt about that. Thanks for the advice and encouraging words everyone. I asked my grandfather how he quit smoking after 40 years and he said he stopped trying and just did it.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I speak from recent experience. It is not worth it. I decided last night that I could handle a glass of wine..that turned out to be a mess. I feel like absolute hell today. I'm so angry at myself...and so ashamed. And here's the kicker...it wasn't even fun. It so rarely was anymore...you don't want to feel the things I am feeling right now.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The hardest part about not drinking was that it had become my evening ritual, every night after work. I drink mostly water and gingerale (after a couple waters, I need to taste something else) as I pass the evening. Staying home alone worked for me. I'm not one to be around people when I'm going through emotional issues. Besides that, I made my first month nothing but work, store for water and soda and home, my main routing. I avoided all places where alcohol was available or served.

I actually dived into computer games (Call of Duty and Battlefield Bad Company Two) playing on the PC, then joining other gamers in multiplayer games online. I created new habits in the evening, that I don't let anyone mess with.

Thankfully, I'm not in a relationship now, so It's all me, it's all mine and I can heal myself without anyone else demanding my mental or physical resources.

At 4.5 months without alcohol, I'm feeling in total control.

It started with water, soda, computer games and locking myself up away from the world. But I'm free. It was worth it to me AND I have a new hobby, online gaming
Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jude, hang in there. The first 4 or 5 days are the worst. I used to drink right after work too...it became a habit. Now after almost 2 months I don't even think about it at the end of the day. Changing old habits is a hard thing to do. Try taking a different route home. Like I said, the first few are the hardest but it does get a little easier everyday. Stay strong!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I plugged myself in here...and I promised myself I'd talk it out here before I went and drank...

I also changed my routine up so that, as far as possible, I wasn't doing the same old same old - change your way home, shop at a different store (preferable one without alcohol)...mix up your nightly routine at home...

Basically tho? I didn't want to drink anymore - for any reason - and I was prepared to deal with whatever because I knew ultimately it had to be better than what I'd been doing.

The first few days *are* hard - if they weren't we wouldn't need this place - but you can do it - there's 100s of folks here who are proof of that.

D
Old 01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hang in there - no matter what that old voice says to you, keep moving in the right direction.... Stop and get some great food on the way home (and don't let yourself get too hungry - it can really set off the cravings). Keep putting off that drink and just get through the day..... Hang out with us and read, read, read - it will remind you of where you don't want to be.....

Everything takes practice, and the more we do it (say no to that drink), the better we get at it and the easier it becomes.

You can do it!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hope you made it Jude - that voice always used to get to me on the way home from work and nagged until I had eaten something if I was hungry or more often than not until I gave in. Im sure it will be back even stronger maybe tomorrow or in a few days but im going to make sure I have a supply of goodies as a counter attack for the time being in these early days. Now where is that big tin of Quality Street that never got opened for Christmas?......

D x
Old 01-04-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Jude and you have some good info here.

Before I got my recovery going (I add face to face support) well there is just no nice, relaxing easy way from what I experienced. I had to force myself to change my routine, eat (didn't remember how to do that since I was drink 1st and everything else later), bypassed any old booze shops that I would usually detour to and spent my spare time either taking a walk or anything that wasn't a pull for drinking.

Mostly I was here at SR. Either posting or reading. I am big SR reader. I credit my initial sobriety and ability to get the support I needed and begin to make change from this amazing community of strangers on the internet. I gave nothing by coming here....no cost, no requirements and tons of experience, support and useful tips/links.

Now SR remains an invaluable tool in my recovery. All about paying it forward my friend.

Keep it going.....
Old 01-04-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you are getting through the tough time.

It will be easier next time.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jude...I hope you made it home safe and sober. Tonight was the first night that I went out with my family not having to wonder if they could tell I was drinking or not. It feels good that I didn't have to worry about it. I hope you are feeling the same about not stopping for a drink as well!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just wanted to let everyone know I made it home safe and sober last night. I took keithurbanfan's advice and bought my wife flowers ;-) She loved them. It was hard at the store because the alcohol is right by the fruit and vegetable section and the area where the sparkling water is. You know they should move that stuff to the back! I have to say that I really do feel much better today but I hope to sleep better tonight. (had to take a benadryl to get to sleep.)

Thank you all so very much for being here!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Exclamation

A thought just came to me. Think of alcohol as one of those corrupt prisons in the movies, you are a good guy, but the warden keeps finding ways to extend your sentence. Knowing you'll die if you stay, you make a break for it and escape! Now you are running through the dark woods, not knowing exactly where you are going, just away from there! Whenever you feel an urge, that is the hounds howling out in search of you. Fortunately, you have made some outside contacts (us and meetings) who are willing to help you make your way to freedom. As time goes on, you will put more and more distance between you and your former captor. You will receive a new identity and make a new life. Just remember to stay clear of the area, as that warden never give up and you don't want this suspenseful tale to have a part two!