Notices

Depressed, but sober

Old 01-01-2011, 12:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depressed, but sober

I couldn't shake the feelings of depression all night. Just sat at home with my mom and dad, they got semi-drunk which isn't unusual. A friend came over, we played some cards for a bit, then he left.

I dunno if its the social pressure of new years, or what. I just feel really low, feel like a loser, and feel like a pos in general.

I have no desire to drink right now though, so I know I'm doing something right. Oh well, tomorrow, or I guess today, well once I wake up, it'll be the start of a whole new year. I'm just feeling bummed out right now, but I know a good nights sleep will cheer me up lol

anyone else feeling bummed out right now?
Old 01-01-2011, 12:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep - me too. Did not drink last night and spent the evening with family - just seemed a bit bleak. Have had that sleep and things do look better. They will for you too.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Me three. Things change. Hang in there.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe tomorrow you will feel relieved of all the holiday pressures. Are you engaged in any hobbies? Maybe if you decide to do a few new things in 2011 that are fun and healthy you will feel a bit happier. I hope you feel better. Good for you for not drinking tonight
Old 01-01-2011, 01:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i was just going to stay home but started to feel kinda depressed too. went to my sisters house and just hung out with my preggo sister and watched movies.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations to all of you for not letting the blues derail you tonight

D
Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

North, glad you are sober and you are here posting. I have my ups/down. Sometimes I get bummed too but it does pass.

Hope you sleep well and I find getting out for a walk and some fresh air just helps me feel better.

Keep sharing and way to go on your sobriety. We are here for you!!
Old 01-01-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

You know, staying home NYE with half-pissed parents is kind of depressing. It doesn't make you a pos though

Good to just roll with these things though right? I wake up the morning after plenty of blue days. Sober and ready to do something better that day. I know you will too.

Whatever someone wrote here one time really stuck with me. About acting your way into new thoughts (rather than thinking your way into new actions). Hope you can find something engaging/stimulating to do today.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you stayed sober! HOpe your mood lifts a bit.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe an entire day of NCAA American "Rugby" will lift your spirits! And you will not feel like barfing all day!

In general, I've always found New Years to be a saccharin and depressing event. If you're familiar with video games, Bioshock starts like most of my past NYEves. Which is depressing to say the least!

We can be proud today however! And many of us may have served as noble and very in-demand Designated Drivers!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

northland, I was home alone last night, I did feel sad at times for sure. But now, waking up, feeling good, with the teapot about boiling...things feel better. You did it, you made it through NYE, congrats!

(And wow, that's an amazing area you live in, just checked it out on Google maps. My brother would go nuts for s chance to fish that massive lake by you.)
Old 01-01-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Had 2nd day of craving a beer yesterday, glad to say made day 18 & the new year.
Biggest consolation is thinking of all the people i know who will be suffering major hangovers today - cruel perhaps but true :-)
So glad not to have caved to the cravings! It's a good feeling today :-)
Old 01-01-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't now, but I did for a good part of last week. We have good days and bad day. I do know when you're going through a rough patch it seems like it will never end. Northland you're not a loser. Even if you were drinking wouldn't make you not one lol.... One day at a time my man.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Depression vs self-pity and the blues

While it is normal to occasionally feel depressed and sorry for oneself it isn't healthy to wallow in it for long. If you are truly clinically depressed, have suffered painful trauma, a sudden loss or are inconsolable then call someone you trust and talk. You may need outside help if it doesn't ease up. Good luck.

If it's just the year end blues with a lot of self-pity tossed in then a possible solution to the problem is to make yourself useful. Volunteer at meals on wheels or a shelter or the church or AA or NA etc. It runs counter to standard psychological therapy for self-pity (a pill and whiny talk) but people working a program find it sometimes works.