OT - Meet Kushka

Old 12-31-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - Meet Kushka

Here is the newest addition to our family. He's a bit freaked out right now and won't stand still. I think I'll have to take pictures of him when he goes to sleep, like I do with DS when I don't want them to be blurred action shots.

Isn't he beautiful? He's super sweet and lovey. He checks in for pets and then explores more of the house. We're not sure if we're going to change his name or not; he seems to know it, so most likely not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1301.JPG (40.3 KB, 127 views)
Old 12-31-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your new furry friend! I would love to hear more of his story...

CLMI
Old 12-31-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oooh! What's the story? How did you come to own him?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He's a manx, 12 lbs. His previous owner passed away. They found him on the east side of town on 12/20. DS and I went in to look at a beautiful kitty, Princess, and DS kept going over to Kushka's pen. One of the workers asked if we wanted to see him and we got to play with him in a room for a while. That was it. We knew we were his new family.

I think he got to go outside before, because he took time out his exploring to sit in the window to 'chirp' at the birds. He apparently likes to lay on wood floors under things. He is such a love!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, and he seems to have been given people food. He's a shameless beggar.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I'm so happy for you, DS and Kushka!

From the photo it looks like he is wearing striped knee socks. I hope you will share more info and photos.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well. Kushka is now Sasuke. And he loves to sleep on feet. That will take some getting used to.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Beautiful kitty! I've got one house cat that has always stood at the window and 'called' to the birds and he only started going out this summer (doesn't go out when its wet and was shocked and dismayed by the snow - too funny!).

How does he manage to sleep on his feet?! That's a new one to me!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bookwyrm View Post
Beautiful kitty! I've got one house cat that has always stood at the window and 'called' to the birds and he only started going out this summer (doesn't go out when its wet and was shocked and dismayed by the snow - too funny!).

How does he manage to sleep on his feet?! That's a new one to me!

Oh Bookwyrm, you are so cute! I think she meant he likes to sleep ON feet- other peoples feet-lol I'll bet he used to keep his dearly departed owners feet warm, bless him.
how wonderful to give a shelter animal a home, it just warms my heart to the nth degree! he is lovely and i cant wait to see more pics. i love to see pics of pets.

hugs,
annette (at first, I thought the same thing-heehee)
Old 01-01-2011, 03:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

D'oh! Makes sense now - thanks chicory!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post
Well. Kushka is now Sasuke. And he loves to sleep on feet. That will take some getting used to.
Love his new name! It's nearly an anangram of his former one (re-arranged letters).

Many happy, soothing, funny years to you all!

CLMI
Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

He's gorgeous! My black long-haired Bagheera 'chirps' at the birds outside too! Can't wait to see more pictures!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just wanted to share a smile today after reading JohnnyMau's silly pet analogy thread (which is great, BTW). Not that Sasuke eats people, but he's a pretty silly cat. For your entertainment purposes:

Picture two gals, who may be of Asian/Native/German descent, bundled up in hats, scarves, gloves, snowskirts, boots, walking along the sidewalks of an Alaskan neighborhood in the winter. Picture them shuffling along, like little old ladies because the sidewalks, where not buried under several feet of ice crusted snow, are sheer ice. They're laughing and giggling to each other and the young boys following along behind them.

Their mirth appears to be focused on the small pet at the end of the leash whose handle they are carrying and passing back and forth as they turn and trade as the pet trots along around them checking out this snowy world in long, lazy circles. Is it a new small furry puppy? Ummm.... Wait. It's a cat. That is acting like a little dog? A cat?

Yep, Sasuke let us put a harness and leash on him and take him for walks. He kind of reminds me of a little dog trotting along around us as we walk. Like he's checking out stuff around thinking "This is cool!" "What's this?" "I'm cool. Look at me." "Wait! Can I catch that raven?" "This is cool!" "OK, I'm cold now. Carry me." I'm sure we looked hilarious. Probably didn't help that we had a train of nephews/sons following along behind us laughing so hard they kept falling over into the snowbanks.

So, not only does Sasuke play fetch, meet me at the door when I get home, and sleep on my feet, but he also goes for walks. Yeah, I know. I'm gonna be the crazy neighbor lady who walks her cat.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OMG.

Believe it or not, I used to have a cat named "Koshka". I took Russian in college, and koshka is Russian for "kitty". He LOVED to play fetch, and would chase a crumpled cigarette pack, bring it back and drop it at your feet, waiting for you to throw it again.

LOL, my first husband and I tried to train Koshka, and our other cat, Samantha, to walk on a leash. We bought them little harnesses and snapped on the leashes and took them outside.

Whereupon, they proceeded to flop on their sides like they were dead and refused to move. We tugged them along, trying to encourage them, but they laid there like dead fish. We tried a couple more times, then gave up.

Heh, the ex and I still crack up if one of us makes reference to "taking the cats out for a drag."
Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about being the "crazy neighbor who walks her cat" Since one of my cat's name is Elvis, and they're all indoor/outdoor cats, I'm sure my neighbors got quite a laugh at me, standing in the yard, yelling "ELVIS!!!!"

Sounds like Sasuke is a great addition to the family!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-08-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

:rotfxko stopppp your killing me , im so there with it all other then i wont walk my " Stash " hes a tuxedo cat name is short for mustash , its a perfect one right under his nose , but he does fetch ... amazing i think its entertaining for Stash as he will fetch it only to drop it on top of the steps so I gotta get up and toss it back down um .. ooh what we do for our furry friends ..
Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

(((Lexie))) - my cats don't "do" leashes, either. No matter how tight the collar is (short of cutting off their air supply), they manage to get out of it and away from the "evil leash"...sigh.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-08-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Heehee. ELVIS!!!!

Yep, Lexie, I'd tried to put harnesses and leashes on 2 cats (BabyGirl and Two) as we were driving up the Alcan to move home. I thought it'd be a good way to let them out of the car when ever I stopped without them taking off into the great wide open. (BabyGirl and Two were 2 of the cats I later had to leave with XAH when I left and I'm not entirely sure what he did with BG. She's gone. Two mysteriously died the first time I left him...) Any way. BG jumped out the car and immediately dropped to the ground like a dead log and refused to budge. Two would back up and then run to the end of the leash, where he'd do an ungainly jump into the air like a pelican trying to take off. And then he'd do it over and over and over. Yeah, the stops to eat a meal at the side of the highway weren't very restful....

Maybe the center got Kushka's name wrong and it really was Koshka. According to some celebrity, we can see Russia from here after all.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hm, I googled "Kushka" and there's a children's book called "Kuskha: A Dog Named Cat", which doesn't say what language Kushka is. Might be something related to Russian, like Ukrainian or some other Slavic language.

LOL, I thought of the dimwit, er, celebrity's quote right when I posted that, remembering you are in Alaska.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

uncertainty, if I drive by a gaggle of bundled up folks walking a cat peacefully on a leash, I'll honk, ok?! You'll know it was me....

I had two manx growing up - I wanted them after seeing the lynx up here. They were the coolest cats, such personality and gumption.

You sound so happy!