Notices

Hi

Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

im new here, I have been thinking bout quiting my habbits for awhile. I drink, smoke. I have alot issue that drive me back where I dont want to one I have glacoma, with very bad headache,.... so you can kinda tell where im going. I know I can have a better life if I have postive support and firm.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

My name is John, I'm an alcoholic.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey Hopeless. Welcome to SR. Yes, you can quit these things. Get a support system. Read around SR, Post where you want, and let us know if you have any questions.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I quit drinking a year ago and don't regret a minute of it. Hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR....this is a great place to start!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here. SR has helped me alot with my recovery. You are not alone. We do recover.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome hopeless

Self medicating ourselves for pain is a common problem - but there are many ways to deal with pain that don;t damage us in other ways like drinking or smoking do.

I assume you have a doctor - have you had a talk with them and been honest with them about your addictions yet?

It might be a good first step?
D
Old 12-29-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Hopeless! You can absolutely have a better life without those habits. Stick around and read up on everyone's posts. Everyone here is so supportive. I hope you find what you need and the strength to stick with it.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. I just joined a few days ago. Drinking isn't a part of my life any longer. I also quit smoking January 31, 2007 at 11:59 and 5something seconcs.

It can all be had. You have to want to quit and never quit quitting. One of them sticks.

There's a positive way... with support.
There's are negative ways too... with jail, health issues, job loss, license loss etc.

Note: Going with the positive way you get to keep your stuff AND get bragging rights for quitting.

If you quit both at the same time, more power to you. If you can only commit to one at a time, I suggest you quit drinking first. It will empower you that YOU CAN do it. That you have the self control to quit something. Then cigarettes will be easier.

Cigarettes first is the oldest cop out. Anytime you drink, you will say it's too hard to quit smoking and set yourself up for harder time.

Good luck!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

WELCOME! I have been sober for 27 days and I can honestly say I do not regret not drinking. It's funny, we never wake up in the morning and say "man, I wish I'd of gotten drunk last night"... I too am still smoking. I always thought I smoked because I drank. Turns out I smoke because I'm addicted to it. I do want to quit smoking but for me drinking was having a much larger negative impact on my life and smoking. Both are bad, but one thing at a time. You'll find a ton of support in this forum. A lot of us have quit drinking and entered recovery. If we can, so can you!!!!!!!!!!

One day / moment at a time...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please check with your doctor about the headaches.
I use drops for my glacoma and pain is not part
of my experience with it.

Although....as a drinker..headaches were part of the deal.

Welcome....
Old 12-29-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome that everyone has shown. One, yes they know bout my habits Im open just ask. I dont believe in denying anything bout myself good or bad, its still me. They just keep giving me pills, more medicine, so thats why im hoping theres other options.Second I meant smoking weed also is why I stated I have glacoma. (sorry not clear before) I do smoke cigrettes too. I actually cut down on cigrettes 2 a day maybe. Thanks for the support.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

You will find lots of support here. I'm glad you are seeking help.