Notices

more of my story

Old 12-28-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

more of my story

I thought I'd share a little more of my story. Yesterday, I stopped drinking and started posting on this forum. I started drinking wine in the evenings about a year ago after my husband left me. Before that I had stopped drinking completely because I saw my older sister destroying her life with drugs and alcohol. My beautiful, successful sister passed away on Dec. 3, 2007 from cirrhosis of the liver. The last time I saw her was hours before she died and she was on a venilator. I thought I would NEVER touch alcohol again! Two years after she died and about 6 months into my divorce, I started drinking again. Wow! Can hardly believe I have done this to myself. I guess that is how huge the denial can be. That I'm different and the drinking is managable or whatever excuses I was making for myself. BTW my sister was only 43 when she died, the same age I am. Anyway, thanks for letting me share.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm sorry about your sister, and I know how tough it is to lose someone to alcohol.

Keep reading and posting here at SR; it is such a good place. There are many people here using many different approaches to sobriety. Hopefully their stories and advice will be helpful to you. Best wishes.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Aside from my ex, who is still out there, the only significant loss I've ever felt in my life was my Uncle Bob. He was the nicest guy, struggled for decades with alcoholism, ended up dying on skid row. One of the worst things I can imagine, dying from this disease, what a complete waste.

But it didn't stop me from going down that road.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome LadyFierce - So sorry to hear about your sister. There's just too many tragic things that happen when alcohol's involved..... (Of course, I never would have admitted how dangerous it was when I was drinking).

It's easy to think "that will never happen to me...." And like you mentioned, there's that belief we have that "I'll be able to handle it this time." I did that over and over again until I finally got smart and gave up trying.

I'm glad you're choosing a better life for yourself - I think you'll find lots of support, understanding and good company here like I have. Keep posting!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Ladyfierce - this disease is relentless and insidious.
You've made a great choice coming here tho - lots of support here

D
Old 12-28-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome. Glad you found this site.
I love your user name.