Notices

What we're doing is huge!

Old 12-26-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SR Fan

What we're doing is huge!

I've been in a funk this week: the stress of gift-giving, visiting family, not working, staying sober, traveling, the anticipation, the let down,.....you name it.......... lots of emotions that hit me out of the blue and seemingly for no reason. After 7+ months, I didn't expect to be on the verge of tears several times Christmas day.

This too shall pass, but it doesn't make it an easier when you're in the middle of it. Sometimes all you can do is stay sober in spite of yourself.

I needed to remind myself today that what we're doing is HUGE. We're battling a disease that affects us body, mind and soul. We're not used to handling bad days without self-medicating, without an escape valve. We're afraid we won't be able to do it (maybe others have done it because they weren't as bad as we were, or maybe they were stronger or had more to live for). Our lives our changing and we feel vulnerable.

It takes courage to quit. It takes courage to reach out. It takes courage when those around us don't understand. We should feel SO proud of ourselves for any and every change we're making, for being here, for going to meetings, for making the effort to rebuild our lives. If we don't do anything else today but stay sober, the day has been a success.

Today, I'm not going to take my sobriety for granted. I hope you don't either. You are doing something major by not picking up that drink or drug. It's a huge accomplishment!
Old 12-26-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're taking time to be proud of yourself.

I shed tears a couple of times on Christmas Day too. Some of the tears were from sadness because little granddaughter is miles away. On the upside, we did an iChat with her and it was great. But, some of the tears were tears of joy. I am proud of the person I am, and it's taken a very long time to get there.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Thanks artsoul, for reminding me...

At times we forget this, and that that staying sober in an emotionally difficult situation is an accomplishment, even if people around us wouldn't see it as such a big deal. And it is ok that we tell ourselves somtimes that we did well and that we commend ourselves for that.

I don't know if others may have made similar experiences, but I have been raised to see self-praise as something negative that I shouldn't do, so I always feel a little bit guilty if I do acknowledge that I made some accomplishment.
This post made me realize that, when I look back at this year, it has been a rough ride and many things happened that would have thrown even people that are not alcoholics/addicts off their balance. I am so grateful and I can be proud that I have not picked up a drink in all these situations.

And artsoul, you can be proud of yourself too.
All of us who didn't drink today can be proud of it.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

thanks, littlestranger - I can relate (like it's not OK to be proud of our accomplishments). It took me years just to say "thank you" when people compliment me. Well, at least we recognize our negative self-talk - that's a step in the right direction!:ghug3

Anna - thanks for saying that it "took a long time to get there." It reminds me to hang in there and trust the process. Glad you were able to connect with your granddaughter!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it's so easy to forget how amazing it is for an alcoholic to have yet another sober day. I know that it's always important for me to remain grateful for my alcoholism as it's given me everything that I now have - peace of mind being the most precious.

As long as you're always moving forwards in a positive direction then that's what counts, merely going to be sober and nothing else is definately a positive direction so we should be proud of that!!

I remember when I would have taken merely being able to stay sober and nothing else... I've been rewarded immeasurably on top of merely just staying sober and for that I cannot help but feel grateful.

I know it's a trait of mine that I can think negatively and a big part of my "altered attitude" has been maintaining a positive outlook and it's amazing the impact this has on wellbeing.

Peace and Love xxx
Old 12-27-2010, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Art for your positive share!!! You are so right that we are doing something amazing with our lives!

Glad to be on the journey with ya!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Artsoul,

I like your quote "It takes courage when those around us don't understand". Well we all understand you on here I don't think you were giving yourself self-praise, rather, I believe you were giving yourself and service to the rest of us addicts. Your words have helped and encouraged me because I too have been feeling down. As I'm sure your inspiring words will help many after me. Thank you! Love always, Crystal
Old 12-27-2010, 03:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post. It made me feel a lot better about everything I'm dealing with right now.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for the positive post! I'm grateful for each and every sober day
Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi AS, nice post!

Thanks for the reminder not to take sobriety for granted. I found out early in my time here that complacency was a clear sign of a relapse coming. And you are right, what we are doing is huge, life saving even.

I'm sorry the holidays are putting you in a funky mood. Your posts make you seem like such a positive person, so hang in there and hopefully, things will get better.

Thanks again.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well said artsoul. I completely agree. I went through very similar things as what you bring up. Didn't drink though. Keep up the good work!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

(((Big Hugs)) Artsoul!! Thank-you thank-you thank-you....I honestly needed that.. xo
Old 12-27-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thankyou Artsoul for that inspiring message... it's made me realize the biggest gift this Christmas has been sobriety. :day6