Notices

First post, looking forward to a sober Christmas

Old 12-24-2010, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post, looking forward to a sober Christmas

Just wanted to make an introduction post and thank everyone here for all the information and stories. Although this is my first post, this site has been a great help to me in my recovery. I found out last week my liver enzymes are elevated (AST and ALT both in the 115-130 range iirc). I stumbled across Sober Recovery while searching for additional information about the elevated enzyme levels.

My liver function test was on 12/16. I was very hungover when I took it. I polished off about a pint of my own whiskey that evening and then finished another pint of a housemate's liquor before going to bed. I woke up the next day and began my recovery. I did not receive the results of the test until the following Monday, but I already knew what they were going to reveal. I could just feel that things weren't right within my body. My withdrawal was very unpleasant for 3-4 days, but I had it much better than a lot of people.

Sometime around day four I realized there was no better present I could give myself than a sober Christmas with my family this year. I barely remember last year's Christmas. I was sick with a very bad cold. Out of anger/frustration at being sick on Christmas I drank myself into oblivion and wasted what should have been good time with my family.

I'm going back to the doctor in a month for a follow up test and keeping my fingers crossed that I can bring those numbers down some. I've been eating well, taking vitamins, taking Milk Thistle extract, and drinking a ton of water. I haven't had any alcohol and I stopped taking the pre-workout supplement I was using because I'm not sure how the high levels of creatine might affect my liver. I've even made it into the gym a few times, but I still feel pretty exhausted from the withdrawal and from my sleep habits being way out of whack right now.

I am interested in hearing other people's experiences with liver biopsy, ultrasound, etc. When did your doctors recommend those tests? I'm just curious if they normally come after one month, three months, six months, etc of high liver enzyme results. I'm not looking for medical advice (I'll let my doctor decide what needs to be done), but I would like to get a better idea of what I might expect when I go back.

Also, I pay for my health insurance out of pocket. I seem to remember having to answer questions about whether I've ever been treated for alcoholism or something to that effect when I took out the policy a few years ago. Right now, as far as I know, no such diagnosis has been made by my doctor; although that seems like a somewhat subjective thing to diagnose. Has anyone else taken out a health insurance policy after their recovery? Will admitting alcoholism to my doctor today make me a high risk to insurance companies and jack my rates up in the future?

Thanks again for all your help. Reading this site (and being sober for a little over a week now) has really opened my eyes to how bad I had gotten. Wishing everyone a good Christmas.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Already))) - welcome to SR! What a great gift you're giving yourself for Christmas..sobriety!!

I'm not sure about the health insurance. I know that I got insurance through work, the last time I had it, and there were no questions about addiction/alcholism, etc. I told my dr. about it, the first time I met him, so it's all over my records.

I know there was a thread about this, but it's been a while. Since there are people here, from all over the country, there were different experiences. Hopefully, someone will come along with some experience in this.

As far as the liver enzymes, I really think that's an individual thing...no two people react the same way to alcohol, so the recovery time for their liver also varies. It sounds like you're doing healthy things, and that's a good thing. Just make sure to stay away from Tylenol products, too...not medical advice but that stuff is hard on the liver.

I lurked on here for over a year, before joining, so you're already way ahead of me Having support, IMO, is essential for recovery. It's not just putting the stuff down, it's learning to live life, with all it's ups and downs, and not give in to our first instinct to "get numb".

BTW, Merry Christmas!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-24-2010, 11:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Impurrfect. I quit taking Tylenol (and anything else with Acetaminophen) years ago when I started drinking. Right now I'm just trying to treat my body as well as possible and hoping for the best when I go back to the doctor.

Support does seem crucial. I really don't have anyone to talk to about this right now which is part of the reason I joined this community. My dad offered me liquor, my brother offered me beer, and my sister-in-law asked where my alcohol stash was today. I think my brother knows something is up since I wasn't drinking, so I'll probably talk to him about it when we get some private time. My dad has some health issues right now (unrelated to alcohol) and I don't really want to worry everyone else until I see how my next test goes.

I'm not really struggling with my decision not to drink right now. The thought has crossed my mind many times, but the liver tests have me too scared to start drinking again. Not to mention knowing how difficult the withdrawal was and knowing I'd have to do it again.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Merry Christmas back to you....Welcome....:

Glad you decided to share and join us

Only your doctor can assist you with medical issues
Of course...quitting alcohol is a big plus
and will aid you in finding a healthier future.

I do use AA for my recovery from alcoholism...and
there are various ways for you to move forward.

Some of our members are happily sucessfully sober
without a formal program...however..here is a list
for you to think about

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Do you have a plan in mind?

Last edited by CarolD; 12-25-2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 12-30-2010, 11:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

^ Thanks for the list. I'm not planning to use one of the formal plans right now. I know that might seem foolish to some, but the liver thing has really changed my whole perspective on drinking. A month ago there is no way I could have quit on my own, but right now I can't imagine starting back.

The initial liver test was a requirement for some antibiotics I need to take. I can't start the antibiotics until my liver tests come back clear. It's a 3 month cycle of antibiotics and I won't be able to drink while taking them. I'm counting on being at least 5 months sober by the time I finish the cycle. Once I finish the antibiotics I might need to consider getting some help to stay sober. I've actually been talking a lot with a good friend who went through rehab and NA for much harder drugs a few years ago and he has been a big help. I think a lot of my experiences brought back memories he had pushed aside and maybe even strengthened his resolve to stay clean.

Anyway, I'm still sober and feeling more and more like myself every day. I was in a car accident tonight with my girlfriend driving, so I'll be going to the doctor or an urgent care to get checked out tomorrow. We're both a little beat up, but otherwise fine. I'll probably ask if he wants to go ahead and do another liver function test since I'll be there anyway. Wish me luck on the numbers looking better this time around.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

gee, I hope you check out ok already - take care of yourself.

D
Old 12-31-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hope things turn out well for you Already. Let us know.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The liver tests came back great! I'll get the results in the mail in a few days, but the doctor's office called me to tell me that one of the things they measure was back in the normal range and the other was only three points above normal. The one that is still above normal had dropped from 147 to 58 if I remember correctly (55 or lower was normal), so it's a huge improvement. The doctor seemed very surprised that there was that much change in such a short period of time.

I have no idea how much these things helped, but I took a multivitamin once daily and 300mg Milk Thistle extract twice daily. Also drank a lot more water than normal and ate really well (lots of vegetables and fresh fruits, whole grains, lean meats.)

I think I'm going to give myself at least one more full month of healing before I start that 3 month antibiotic. I'm feeling really good about my sobriety right now though.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad things went well for you at the doctor. Sounds like you have been very fortunate the liver condition has not progressed in a dangerous way. Now would seem to be a good time to look at the cause. I noticed you said that "I'm not planning to use one of the formal plans right now". But you would like recovery, right? So what's your plan for that?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm planning to do at least another month of healing before starting an antibiotic prescription that will last for three months. I won't be able to drink while taking the prescription, so I will be close to 5 months sober by the time I'm done. After that I'll just take it day by day and get help if I start to struggle with staying sober.

As for the causes...Like a lot of people, I self medicated with alcohol. It was really a downward spiral of depression and a physical injury that caused a lot of pain and took me away from some of my favorite hobbies. The physical issues are resolved and I've really moved on from most of the things that were dragging me down mentally. Over the past six months drinking has really been the main issue in my life and I just wasn't able to get it under control.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad for you good news about your medical tests.

Good for you for deciding to take care of yourself!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad the tests came back ok

D