Notices

My struggle with soma

Old 12-23-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post My struggle with soma

Hi everyone,

I'll keep this brief...I just turned 38...and 20 of those years I've been dealing with a soma addiction. I'm surprised I'm even still alive, as I often took it by the handfuls. I could easily take 60-90 pills in 4-5 days. I find for the most part that people who don't take pills don't take soma seriously. They don't believe it's addictive. Even when my dr. eventually wondered about my monthly supplies running out 'early', I eventually went to get the pills online, which I knew was totally dangerous.

I've been off this for two weeks. I've tried to quit before. I'd say I've been "quitting" since 2003.

I do have legitimate pain issues (endometriosis, lower back pain, plus ulcers and other related illnesses) and have taken a number of different meds over the years. The only thing more dangerous than xanax for me (which I stopped after I gave myself a seizure on it in 1999) is soma.

Please wish me luck in recovery. It's dangerous and underappreciated.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Roxie

Soma is an extremely dangerous medication, especially in overdose. I'm glad you managed to withdraw from it safely.

You'll find lots of support here for your recovery. Keep reaching out.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome roxie! Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Juggernaut of self will

Hang in there Roxie, and like ghostly said, keep us posted.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! I've seen my stepmom, slumped over on the couch, with her head almost on the floor (a position she could not possibly get into, otherwise, with her bad back) from soma.

I take it, occasionally, for back pain, but am well aware of the potential it has to become an issue, and am grateful you posted this as a reminder. I told my dr. I was a recovering addict, the day I met him, and we have a plan on what to do if I need the meds..limited supply, no refunds, and can not get them over the phone. I value my recovery enough, that I've never stepped over the line.

Please keep us posted. SR has been a HUGE support for me in recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-25-2010, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support. I don't have too many people I can talk to this about. I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays the best they can.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I hope your holidays are going well roxie. You now have a lot of people you can talk to here at SR.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy Holidays, Roxie The key is to reach out as much as possible; Ghostly is right, you have us to talk to, we understand what addiction -and recovery, of course- is like.

Here's the current recovery thread, maybe you could consider joining in on the discussion to get -as well as offer- support:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-2010-a.html

Keep us posted!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome! I totally can relate, I went thru soma addiction years ago. I have switched my drug of choice numerous times. Keep posting! Soma is a scary drug cuz it makes you unconscious.... easily abused drug.