Notices

Day 20 and scared of cravings

Old 12-22-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 20 and scared of cravings

Hey all. I am 20 days sober. I have been going to meetings, reading the bb, participating in this site, working with my sponsor, and praying to my HP. It certainly has not been easy, but I will say it has been far easier than I thought it would be.

I find myself almost waiting for the cravings to come. For the past week I honestly have had none. This scares me. I have quit drinking more times than I can count. I have never made it to 30 days before. I have only made it past 20 twice (now three times). What normally happens is I start "self - sabatoging" myself. Not doing the things that I am now.

I hope it remains this easy. They say it's a simple program as long as you do what you're instructed to do. I wouldn't say I'm consumed by the fear, but I definitely am surprised I haven't had more cravings.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Cravings are just feelings, not demands. The more you tell them 'no' the less they'll bother you. Distract yourself when you get a craving. Stay busy. Drink water. Walk the dog. Anything but giving in and drinking. They do lessen with time. I rarely get them anymore and the alkie voice is no longer screaming, it's just a whisper and easy to ignore.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling good about your progress and it sounds like things are going well.

I found early recovery hard - not because of the cravings, but because of the guilt and shame that was overwhelming me.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Enjoy it Reggie..not craving is something to relish in! Maybe this time you were ready. I think it is excellent to be en garde for when a craving hits..how you will handle it etc..but when it is easy and no crave..cherish the moment! I am high five slapping you all over the room with a big WAY TO GO on your twenty days!! Move forward..good job.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You guys are awesome. So encouraging. I really appreciate it. One day at a time. Unless something goes TERRIBLY wrong I will go to bed sober and on to tomorrow!!! Thanks again guys!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Don't over think it. A moment at a time.

Sounds like you're doing well.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Glad things are goin well. I doubt it will stay that way though. Have a plan for what to do different than the other times you quit. Good luck and congratulations on the sober time!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's great you haven't had any cravings Reggie

After a certain point, I won't say I never had cravings again, but they were different - I felt it but I didn't need to tussle with it anymore y'know?...and I enjoyed those long cravings free stretches LOL

D
Old 12-22-2010, 09:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Reggie, I remember somebody saying that the body's cravings (the actual cravings, not somebody thinking about drinking and seeing reasons for it) stop around your time or sooner. So maybe that will be helpful to know, that if it did enter your mind, it's at least not your body too.

I don't remember having mental urges during my first month either. I guess I would have to say that scared me too. There was a positive excitement over the fact that I hadn't gone that far either.

I do remember having thoughts about drinking once the warmer, more humid weather came along, about 4 or 5 months into it, I guess. And it might have been a positive thought or a negative one that preceded it.

Keep up with the pattern you are using every day. I don't think it works for everybody, but I built a new discipline into me...For example, if I started to feel negative, I would recall I didn't take care of something and then would admonish myself, ha ha, and then proceed to take care of it. It seems like the attitude I carry around with me about even some of the most mundane things are linked to my overall mood and health.

I also remember that during the first month or so I would bear in mind that it is probably easy for most people to go off track. (Still do.) But I would give myself credit when I did the right thing every day, so that's what I like to encourage people to do.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toronto68 View Post
Reggie, I remember somebody saying that the body's cravings (the actual cravings, not somebody thinking about drinking and seeing reasons for it) stop around your time or sooner. So maybe that will be helpful to know, that if it did enter your mind, it's at least not your body too.
I believe that was Isaiah - mentioned in a thread a few weeks ago that beyond 27 days or so no addiction is physical - that that is the amount of time for anything to fully leave the body. Beyond that it is all mental.