Notices

Death week

Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Death week

Tomorrow I will travel 100 miles to my home town to attend the funeral of a best friend's mom. Her mom had been very ill for two years, so it was a blessing that she is no longer suffering and that my friend doesn't have to live the nightmare of watching her mom in horrible pain and discomfort.

The next day, Thurs I will travel 30 miles to attend the funeral of a former coworker who died suddenly on Sunday at age 57. I still haven't found out the details of what happened. As of October, (the last time we communicated) she was stressed from work, but otherwise fine.

On Friday, Christmas Eve, I will travel back to my home town to be with my sisters for the holiday. 10 years ago December 24, our dad died suddenly of a massive heart attack. We were getting ready to open our gifts and dad said he didn't feel well. Two hours later at the hospital he died. . Also doesn’t help that Dec 24th is middle sister’s birthday.

I almost feel like this is a test of my very young sobriety, but I am determined to get through all of it without a drink.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I am sorry for all your losses and what you are going through. I hope you find strength and courage during these difficult times.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So sorry for your losses this week...what a difficult time for you.
You are in my thoughts and prayers....and remember, someone is always around on SR....even this week!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your losses, better, but I know you can do this and come through the week stronger.

You'll be a comfort for your friends and loved ones, I'm sure.

D
Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thinking of you BL.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi betterlife. I am so very sorry that you are dealing with all of this right now. I hope you can surround yourself with friends and family to help get you through. Thank you for sharing on SR so we can keep you in our thoughts. You can do this without drinking.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Check in when you get time BL4M-We are all here for you any time. I am sorry you are going thru this. You will be in my thoughts..
Old 12-22-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Bettterlife4Me - I can relate to you. My Mom died December 24, 1998...so the Christmas season brings back bad memories.

Have a good Christmas.

Kelly
Old 12-22-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sending hugs Better -- stay close to SR, it may help just to talk to someone to help you get through each day.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am sorry for all the sorrow in your life right now, but as you know, drinking won't make it better but will only make it worse. You can do this and come out sober, I know it!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all your kind words and encouragement. You guys are the best!

Kellysad So sorry about your mom. Not that there is ever a good time to lose a loved one, but dealing with it right at Christmas time is the worst IMO.

Just got home about 30 mins ago. It was a long, emotional day but I got through it sober. Immediately after the service one hometown friend said "you want to go get a drink"? I told her I wasn't drinking, and of course she was shocked, why wouldn't she be, we've been partying together for 28 yrs. although she is a "normal drinker". Another home town friend who also goes back 28 yrs has been active in AA for several years so I rode with her to the cemetery and we talked sobriety stuff. It was a good talk and I'm sure we'll be having more discussions along the same lines. It felt good to come clean and tell them I'm working on sobriety now.

Thanks again everyone. Hope you all have a peaceful, sober evening.