Notices

Sad day today

Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sad day today

I am really glad I found this site. I am a mom of 2 young kids, and while I usually only have 2 or 3 glasses of wine a night, I get way too drunk at social gatherings. Last night, I blacked out, and don't remember putting my kids to bed. My son saw me smoking a cigarette, which showed him I'm a hypocrite...who knows what I did or said at the end of the night. I am so disappointed in myself...my father is an alcoholic, and I will not allow this to ever happen again. I have to quit drinking...I have tried before, but then tell myself I'm really fine. How can I forgive myself? What do I say to my kids? My husband and I love to drink wine at night and relax...I'm so afraid I will start again. I wish I could stop. I'm scared.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Maryjane and welcome!

I think its wonderful that you want to quit especially with kids. Growing up I was raised to believe that a normal part of adulthood was to drink wine every night with dinner. It helped me justify my drinking for a long time.

You are lucky in one way that you aren't drinking that much....you are also unlucky that you aren't drinking that much sometimes its easier to quit when things are unbearably bleak. That actually didn't help me that much. What did help me was to totally change the way I thought about alcohol in addition to doing a ton of work on my self as well.

There's tons of info here, and everyone is nice and supportive
Old 12-21-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

If you decide you are ready to quit, try to find a support system. Consider face to face groups, use SR, both, or other things.

Most of us have done things we regret while drinking / using. Sounds like if you get a handle on things now, your kids and family will be fine.

Read around SR. You will find a lot if support here. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! When I came here I was like you, where I would drink moderate amounts most days but occasionally binge. I decided to stop after going overboard one night and having a blackout. No kids, but the shame was so palpable.

I'm guessing you won't have much in the way of physical withdrawals since you don't drink heavily daily, but the psychological stuff is hard. Keep on posting, and good luck!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you both so much. I am ready to quit. I started crying thinking that maybe we will all be fine. I am a mess tonight.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's exactly it. I am ashamed. But I also know the "real me" would not have acted that way...so I see that I'm not in control.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome MJ! First off..try to forgive yourself. I think that sometimes the WORST things we do when drunk...can be the very thing that leads us to sobriety. The eye opener. You are not alone. Hope to hear from you again!

Last edited by MsCooterBrown; 12-21-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: deleted a word ..
Old 12-21-2010, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Maryjan! I think you'll find a lot of good help on this site, especially in realizing that you're not alone in this. Most of us have tried to quit, went back to it because we thought we were fine, (repeated that a few or many, many times), and then at some point realized that it was an even bigger problem than we thought. Those 2-3 drinks made us feel like we could handle the alcohol, until we couldn't and blacked out after having too many. Remember this last time you got drunk so that you know why you quit, come here as often as you need to so you can remind yourself that you've quit, ask for help when you need it, and be proud of each day you can get through without a drink. You can do it!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi maryjan

I think being scared and feeling guilty and regretdul are things we;ve all been through here. You're among friends - we get it

We get through things a day a time, and reaching out here when we feel scared or overwhelmed or vulnerable, if thats what it takes at the beginning.

The folks here helped me to change my life. I know we can help you too

Keep reading and posting.
Welcome aboard!

D
Old 12-21-2010, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum - we all understand what it feels like coming off a binge (or lots of them). It was baffling to me the times when I was determined not to overdo it and find that my drinking got out of control anyway.

I really didn't think sobriety was going to be any fun, but it's the best thing I could have done for myself. Take it a day at a time and when you're tempted, come here and read this thread. Hang in there - we're all behind you!
Old 12-22-2010, 03:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Mary you have our support.

I think almost all of us have a flood of emotions when we start the journey. What I can assure you of is that you don't have to ever go through this again. We can get sober, we can begin recovery and live healthy positive lives!

Glad you are here. Keep sharing and focus on taking it day by day.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

You CAN stop.

Welcome to SR.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 2! When I told a friend I didn't want wine, she thought I was pregnant. Depressing.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Maryjan,

Your story is much like mine....kids...wine every night...binges...alcoholic father...my 2 glasses turned into 3, then 4, then the bottle+...it's progressive. I thought I could handle drinking socially, but that turned quickly into the bottle again...I was really the only one that could say STOP, ENOUGH. I got so sick of feeling so guilty and sad, and like a loser everyday...and I just kept thinking about what I was robbing my kids of each day that I woke up and wasn't fully present for them. It's hard, but worth it. Day 18 here. and I know that when I go out with friends and say no to a drink, they will assume i am pregnant also! dred that moment, and have been avoiding it, since I don't think I can handle the temptation yet....anyways, I am rambling...but just wanted you to know you are not alone
Old 12-22-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks so much. It's helpful to hear from someone in the same boat. I will look for your posts here...congrats on 18 days. I did have a good feeling with my kids today--like, "You'll never know that I'm doing this for you--but I am proud to be doing it for you." Probably need to do it for myself, too...anyway, thanks.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

it's a really great feeling being sober, MUCH better than the guilty feeling from the wine, for sure!! you can do it, and definetly do it for YOU, you are worth it!!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I love this place.

Welcome! Just wanted to let you know to come hang out with us in chat! Great group, great support. Also on Friday's 9est we have a meeting there.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I was a great disappointment to my kids (teens at the time) when I was drinking. They were so glad when I quit. Congrats on two days sober! That's a good start to a better way of life.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Maryjan!

I know that the shame and guilt I felt because of my drinking, stopped me from recovering for a long time. Don't let those feelings overwhelm you.

You can do this!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....I'm please you are heading into a sober future.

blessings to you and your family