Update on It's So Hard

Old 12-21-2010, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on It's So Hard

I have been trying to live with my addict son who was stealing from us. He wanted no help. I was going to revoke his bail in January at his next court appearance but it was harder each day living with the disease. On Sunday he stole a coat my husband had bought me for Christmas and that was the last straw. I called the police and made out a report. The officer suggested a section 35 (involuntary commitment through the court). I did that yesterday and he is away for 30 days at a treatment center. I am hoping that he will accept the help and get and want to stay clean and sober. I have no idea what to do after the 30 days but I am trying to stay in the day and not have expectations but still have hope. Have any of you known of forced treatment that worked?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that you had to deal with the issue of reporting the theft. But it was a consequence that your son needed to feel. I'm sure that it weighs heavy on your mother's heart.

We did an intervention with my son four years ago. He was sober for four months. He cherishes those four months and it seems to be what he yearns for.....sobriety. It's just not easy for them.

Try to get some rest and enjoy this time when you know that your son is safe and not able to use.

You and your son are in my prayers today.

gentle hugs
Old 12-21-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FGB

Trinia, I'm right there with you. I did the commitment thing too, with my 26yo son. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but I did it. That day in court my son started hating me. When we had a minute alone together in a small room, all he said to me was "What can I do for you?" very coldly. So I responded I understand you're angry at me, but I'd rather have you alive and mad at me, than dead. and that was the end of our conversation and no hugs.

That was in November. He then had to wait at detox until a bed opened. which wasn't until about the 7th of this month. While at rehab, he would call his Dad and ask for appropriate things, toiletries, etc. He also called one of his sisters, but not me. So I gave it up to my HP and went on with my life, trying not to feel sad that he was so angry at me.

Just this last Sunday, he called me! Apologized for being so mad at me. He has about another week in rehab (he enjoys the AA meetings, but not the rehab program, seems it's mostly video's from the 70's, at least according to him). Then he will be going to a 1/2 way house in a neighboring state, which he's "heard" bad things about, so isn't excited about that, but is agreeing to go.

I don't know what the outcome will be, but I do have hope. I will pray for you and your son also, please take care of yourself in the meantime!! It's a difficult journey that us mom's are on. Hugs, FGB
Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Who knows what a little sober time will do?At the minimum he is safe and being exposed to a program that 1.kinda ruins the fun of using and 2. shows him there is a place to go if he wants to remain sober...all good things in my book.
Are you going to alanon or Naranon? Either way..he stays sober or not, it can really help you and your relationship with your son. The best gift you can give your son (and yourself!) is your own recovery! My daughter told me it's the best thing I ever could've done.