Notices

Trying to leave Oxy behind

Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to leave Oxy behind

Hey all,

For those of you here that beat the opiates, I hope to join you soon. I am in a situation now that someone may have some good advice for.

I was on Oxycontin and Oxycodone for about 2 years. The highest dosage reached was about 200/day. That was a combo of 2 Oxycontin (20mg each) and about 180mg Oxycodone per day. This was to fight serious neck pain from bulging discs and cord impingement. Sooooo, I finally got my surgery to correct the problem and the pain is gone. Unfortunately, my pain doctor left me hanging now that I am not coming to him anymore. When I told him I was leaving, he didn't even think to say "Hey, wait, you can't just stop taking those pills!". I didn't consider myself an addict but it became abundantly clear that my body was dependent on the medicine to allow normal function.

I sat at home recovering from surgery and started tapering my meds myself. I cut out the Oxycontin and just used the Oxycodone. I got myself down to about 45-60mgs per day. With my time off from work running out, I decided to stop all together. The withdrawals were horrendous. At the end of day 4, and still feeling non-functional, I finally came clean to my closest friend about how much I had been on and that I tried to stop cold turkey. My friend has intervened and has what is left of my medicine to help me beat this.

Today, I am on my 4th day of 5mg, 3 times per day. I feel very anxious still and wake up around 2:30 in the morning in a fit of tossing and turning. I am trying to work but the concentration and energy is a battle. Fortunately I work from home at a computer so I don't need to be out amongst people.

So....on to my questions and request for advice. I have been moving the time I take that 5 mg oxycodone off each morning. Today it was 10:30. Though I was feeling crappy already, after I took it, I felt worse!! What can that mean? Does it mean my body doesn't want it anymore? Also, if I skip the night time dose, would it mean I can get through the 2:30 am drill?

Alright, that is enough for this post. I hope to hear from you great people soon. Though my best friend is great, there is some anger there at me for allowing myself to become dependent on this stuff.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi NeedMyLife

I have no experience with oxys but I think it's great you're trying to rid yourself of them.
I think the best thing to do is always consult with a Dr.

We have rules here about asking and giving medical advice but you'll find others with oxy experience in our substance abuse forum as well - I see you've found that already

Welcome to SR
D
Old 12-16-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. I am not looking for any medical advice. I would love to hear from others who kicked it without doctor help. My doctor basically turned his back on me.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

A doctor who turns their back on you is not a very good doctor, in my opinion.

Oxy addictions/problems are not an imaginary issue. You have every right to be addressed.

That said, I must and would not disagree with Dee, how you deal with quitting Oxy is not best handled by online strangers. I do wish you the best though in finding out what works. Find a new doc, find good and credible info, and we will provide all the support and back up we can. I've known people who've dealt with Oxy, it's no minor drug whatsoever, but you can do it as much as any of us could with our own addictions.

If your body is rejecting your own dosing I am not myself surprised, but I would say all the more reason to get a comptetent and compassionate doctor to help. Drugs are complicated things and you don't want to deal with them with half-assed online help. No one here is as capable as your original doc, and if they wont take you on, I'd say find another with a sense of reason.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ultimately of course the choice is yours....but I've had indifferent doctors too Need - but that doesn't taint the whole profession.

I think apart from the expertise we get from a good doctor, we need the different perspective only someone else can give us.

I'm an alcoholic but trying to self-medicate - or stop - myself was catastrophic.

D
Old 12-16-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I agree with the above posts.

Your dr should have been aware of withdrawls and he wasn't, but that doesn't mean that you could not find a dr who would and could help you.

I wish you well!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you who commented. This is certainly difficult, but I can tell you that I am on day 4 without the Oxy. The day I posted above was the last dose I took. I guess my question to folks (with experience) was "why were the low doses now making me feel ill?". I took it as a sign from my own body that it did not want it anymore. So that was the last day I took any. I still wake at about 2:30 and toss/turn for a little while. The tight chest feeling which I can only assume is some sort of anxiety (for which I do not want to medicate) comes and goes. It seems worst mid-morning and tapers down throughout the day. I am still drained of energy but seem to get a little stronger each day. That is what I want back the most - my drive and energy. Reading some other posts, it appears it may take some time to return to normal. Exercising right now makes me very light-headed so I need to watch that.

Anyway, thanks to all of you again.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Juggernaut of self will

Kicking Oxy

Thanks for posting NML. I am now 9 days sober, and 14 without Oxycodone. I did it cold turkey. As always it was brutal. The kicking seems to get worse for me everytime.

The absolute unable to function S$%^ feeling went away for me in about 5 days this time. However, I am still stuggling with the energy, legarthy issue. I wake up with minor RLS still, but it is managable. I have gotten steadily better but I am still not 100%. Also the emotional roller coaster is quite the joyride. <-- Sarcasm.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, and it does get better. Hang in there, and if you feel you need medical help, by all means get to a doctor.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

6 days clean now

So now is day 6 and things are getting a little better each day. I am not completely non-functional anymore. I've been working and doing my best to look forward to better days. Energy is this big problem but I do get a tiny bit more each day. Thankfully, those awful feelings of depression and thoughts of just going away forever passed. How horrible that is!!

I sent parting words to my pain doctor who provided several excuses for not returning my phone calls. Seems all he would do is tell me that he was sorry I was having such a difficult time with the withdrawals. Hmmmm, really? Or did you miss taking my cash every two weeks? I don't really know anymore. What I would say to anyone else out there is to have the discussion with your doctor before you decide you are done with the oxy. Do not let your doctor drop you off a cliff. They (pain doctors) all know what happens when the drug is stopped so ignorance is really no excuse. Insist on an exit strategy whether it is with them or another professional. There is no reason for anyone with a sincere desire to go clean should be turned away by any doctor.

I will stay tuned and continue sharing here at SR. This really is a great place to connect with supportive people.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello NML.....I am actually online right now b/c I can't sleep! I am on day 10 of oxy withdrawl. What's getting me most is the not sleeping and I am really battling the cravings. I guess I just wanted to say you are not alone and I understand everything you are going through....it sucks!!!!!!! Hang in there!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thx rfc. Sorry to hear your sleep is still a problem. Last night I think I made it past the 2:30 point (at least I don't remember waking). This is my day 7 and I am hopeful the days will get easier. I think I finally got completely hydrated which really does make you feel better.

Hang in there and win the battle!!