Notices

Percocet Problem?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Percocet Problem?

I am going to start by saying what it appears each newcomer says....I am not sure I have a problem, but if I don't yet, I can see I am on a dangerous path. Maybe I am here for help or reassurance or something...not sure.

I am 40 years old and a mother of two younger children. I had a pretty extensive hip surgery 6 weeks ago today. I was heavily medicated for the three days I was in the hospital and sent home with a prescription for Percocet. I took the Percocet for the next seven days, then switched to Hydrocodone which I took for about another week and a half about every 6-8 hours. I never exceeded the dosage prescribed. I did not worry about the medication since my mother was here to help my husband with the kids and I have not been driving since it is my right hip.

The problem is, after the first three weeks, I had no more pills and sometimes the pain was a little more intense than just motrin alone could handle. I was to embarassed to ask the doctor for more, so a friend had a bottle of Percocet that she did not need and offered it. Though it was stronger than I preferred, I began taking it at night only 1 or 1 1/2 pills. Now, at 6 weeks, I am not so sure I "need" the percocet anymore, as much as I want it. I even started thinking about other ways to get more. I justified it by saying "well I am only taking one a night". But I can truly see that this could lead to more and more and I am afraid now that maybe, even at such a low dose, this is a problem.

A little background; Prior to my surgery I did not take any medications. I don't drink or smoke, though I have done both in the past and sometime to excess, but that was before marriage and kids. I am generally very healthy. I eat pretty well, exercise and have a good job (again, prior to surgery). My father was a very bad alcoholic and I honestly only saw him sober a few times in his life. He died of pancreatic cancer at 56 and I have used that memory in the past to make me give up unhealthy habits.

I hope I am just overreacting. I researched stopping Percocet and it actually scared me, but that may be because it is geared toward people on much higher doses. I just don't want to end up one of those women (and I know some personally) who started out innocently and spiraled out of control. Not sure what to do.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nervous
Welcome to SR

I've never taken percocet but I think the fact that you're concerned enough to be here, and the fact that you say

Now, at 6 weeks, I am not so sure I "need" the percocet anymore, as much as I want it.
I even started thinking about other ways to get more.
I justified it by saying "well I am only taking one a night".
I think you definitely have the right to feel a little antsy about where this might be headed.

Have you spoken to your Dr about this yet?
D
Old 12-14-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is exactly how my addiction started except I asked for more scripts. I told myself it would be okay to keep on taking them because I felt so much "better". All I can say with hindsight as soon as the worst pain was over I should have immediately moved over to over the counter meds the minute I thought I might really like some more. Hindsight is not much value to me but for you... all i can say is there is no greater pain than the emotional devastation of a life with addiction. I would take moderate pain now over the route I took. I understand people need pain post op.. and I would need it post op but I know myself and I know I can't just stop so as soon as the script is done the opiate ride is over. Please please save yourself future pain and stop before this gets out of hand.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dee,

I haven't asked the Dr. and actually had my follow up yesterday and conveniently neglected to mention it. I am considering discussing with a friend who is a Nurse Practioner as I feel she will not judge.

It is so easy to look at other posts and say "I am nothing like that" but if I am honest, I am "like that". I am actually mostly using them for the wrong reasons when I am sure at this point Motrin would be just fine. I am now back at work and function fine all day, without any meds, but when I get home, I look forward to everybody going to bed so I can take one and "feel better".

I am aware this is not a good sign and cannot lead to anything positive. Ready to just quit, but nervous of side effects.

Thanks for listening.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Meditation,

Thank you so much for sharing that. That is exactly what I needed to hear. I do not want to end up deeper in this than I already am. Not just for me, but for my family. It is crazy to think that all of this can happen in such a short time and spiral so quickly. I believe that I am still "in time" to stop this before I end up with a serious problem. I need to ask a med professional about whether I need to just stop or need to ween off at maybe a 1/2 for a few days. I think since my dosage is currently low, I should be ok to just stop.

I may actually sleep a little better tonight. This has been on my mind for several days. And living with the father I had, I would never want this for my family.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are in a dangerous situation. The most important thing for you right now is to recognize and believe that you still have a choice. Stop taking the pills. Go through the withdrawal, and don't look back. get out now while it's easy. Don't let anyone convince you that you're an addict. You have a choice.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks HIYAPOWA, I know I am stronger than this. I am glad I came to this place.