Notices

Hey people!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trying.

Hey people!

Haven't been on in a few days as I have been crazy busy, but I'm feeling great. Day 9 here and after the first 5 days it's been getting easier for me. I've been taking vitamins and exercising, and have had so much energy. It's amazing how much I can get accomplished when I'm not feeling like crap because of a hangover and how much more money is in my bank account already. I just want to say thank you to everyone here as I know I know I still have a long journey ahead of me, but your support is a wonderful thing to have. My big test is the holiday party this week which I have to go to abd there will be alcohol there, but I am feeling confident I can do it. If I make it past that I shouldn't have to worry too much until New Years. Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're feeling better Flguy - congratulations on 9 days.
If your worried about the party, don't be afraid to skip it...there'll be other parties.

D
Old 12-14-2010, 03:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah, like Dee said, no need to test it
We've done that enough already, right?
Old 12-14-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on nine days. Doesn't it feel good to feel good again?
Old 12-14-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had to go to my company's christmas party, or so I thought, to accept an award. With 100 days sober, I thought it wouldn't be a problem. But the urge to drink was stronger than I expected because I was so uncomfortable being there and wanted to mask that discomfort by drinking. Instead I just left early and no one seemed to even notice.

Don't risk your sobriety for a party no one will remember in a couple days. But if you do go, stay strong. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trying.

Thanks guys, and yes least, it feels wonderful. My only problem is that as a Manager I am required to go to the party. I already told my boss I won't be drinking and after giving me a hard time he said he respected my opinion. He's pretty cool and said he'll make sure that there is water and soda there, but now I feel weird because I'll be the only one not having a drink... Like I'm an outcast. I really wish I could just skip it but I can't. I just have to go with the attitude that not only am I not going to drink, I don't need to in order to enjoy the party with my fellow associates.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How many people are going? Are you sure you'd be the only one not having a drink? I would think there would be some designated drivers, a pregnant lady or someone else who chooses not to drink? You can do it!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trying.

There's going to be 50-75 probably, so I'm sure there will be some not drinking. I just need to stay focused on myself though. Since I've been feeling better I have been proud of myself so I just need to keep my pride because if I have just one I'll feel like the last 10 days were a waste.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Ya know, no one else even has to know you aren't drinking..........stick a lime in that coke and call it good. I think we have a tendency to put a false "spotlight" on ourselves......we think everyone pays attention to all that we do..........folks may not even notice! Take care of you first, you don't owe anybody any kind of explanation. You have some great time in! Protect it!!

Let us know how you make out!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 9 days! I also am one that avoided any events where there was alcohol early on because it is extremely risky. But I also was also a Manager for many years and attending company events was pretty much expected. So if you job requires you to attend I would prepare myself beforehand. Don't be embarrassed to simply tell anyone who offers you a drink no thank you firmly. There are lots of people who simply don't drink and people respect that. Having a nonalcoholic drink in your hands will lessen the likelihood that someone will offer you a drink. I would not stay any longer than necessary. Commit to calling a sober friend before the party, during the party and after the party.

Waking up on Christmas morning without a hangover and staying sober is a wonderful thing. Look forward to being sober on Christmas day it's great!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats on 9 days, Flguy! Glad you're feeling good.

I had to attend a couple functions early in sobriety and while they were a little uncomfortable at first, I found quite a few sober people to talk to (and many more that only had one drink). I actually enjoyed it more being sober, which was kind of a surprise. And having something in my hand to drink made it so that no one offered me anything.

You can always come down with a bad sore throat if you feel the need to escape.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey FLguy. Parties, yucko. I am day 11 and have made it through 3 so far. I think I am done as 2 other big blow outs seem to have been canceled. I also thought it would be tough but no one cared. We shared some reason statements on another board. I used two, I have to be somewhere afterwards and I am driving. Found out I had to use them as a preemptive strike for me but no one really cared.
If mine were work events I might tell someone I don't drink or I don't drink at company functions.

I read an article not too long ago, can't remember where I saw it, that stated a research report. It showed that people perceived those who did not drink alcohol at work functions/lunches/parties as more intelligent and trustworthy. So think of it this way, by not drinking you may be earning respect and trust you didn't even know about.

Good luck, focus on you, leave early and my big plan is eat everything that tastes good, twice. Join a gym later!