Notices

The holidays!!!!!

Old 12-12-2010, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BKP

Talking The holidays!!!!!

My second year of dealing with the holidays. I am going to my inlaws which is a lot closer to my home 70 miles north. They drink but drink a lot less than the original family back east +2oo miles. I keep a close location due to an emotional relaspe if one occurs. I go to the gym every morning to tire out my body and hit the big book to knowledge myself of the good in soberity. It is getting a little easier but when all is said and done i am still a creature of habit and the drinking does linger. Just wondering what others due during the holidays to deal with the parties, drinking and mayhem that is all around us. Keeping myself busy, moving and leaving and coming back is the best potion for the cause of soberity. I also drink coffee and diet soda's to help with any drinking i may do. Anyone else feel thrown into the role of a simiar situation?

PEACE
Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is going to be my first holiday season without alcohol. I've been sober now for 16 days and I know I can do it. With the big book at hands reach wherever I go and keeping myself occupied, it shouldn't be that hard. I'm know I'm new to sobriety, although I know I just can't drink. I drink water like it's going out of style. Also I drink diet soda, eat ice cream on occasion, and keep a healthy stock of candy on me at all times for the sugar cravings. Actually, I don't think I've had a sober Christmas and New year without alcohol since I was 16. I'm now 31, but I'm determined. Good luck and you've got my support. See ya...........
Old 12-12-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

This will also be my first holiday season without alcohol.. i am really looking forward to it though.. I don't get to go home much.. I'm lucky if I get to go home for 2 weeks a year and last xmas I was totally hammered.. I have some step 9 stuff to do when I am home and I am looking forward to it and actually remembering and being able to cherish the moments this time.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
BKP

Great info. During the holidays i freak out a bit- But AA and soberity assists me with keeping me grounded on making the right, sober choices. I like the responsibility of being the DD because it is peoples lives and others on the road who need me to keep to my word, keeping sober and safe. So i always gas up the car and provide transportation to anyone who needs it. I enjoy this and love to wake up the next day at 6 am and hit the gym when others are just coming in or sleeping off a hangover. Thats what i have been doing for almost 2 yrs. I never miss a day of workouts, I never missed a day of drinking so i replace one with the other.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I enjoy knowing that I'm sober. I watch the mess that can sometimes unfold around me and I just remember that my sobriety is at the top of my list.

Sometimes.....seeing family members drink makes me hope that they will look at my choice, and join me.

Really, I do enjoy the holiday sober. Are they perfect, ummmmm, hell no! But they sure are better to deal with.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This will be my first Xmas sober. Thanksgiving was a trial run of sorts and it worked well so I am cautiously optimistic. I've also been doing a lot of prep work with my coach which is helping.

All in all I am looking forward to it...I have already done some ofjmy holiday shopping (no running around last minute this year!) And I've actually decorated my house a little....wreath on the door, I made an orange/clove pomodore, and hung some decorations....its nice:-)
Old 12-13-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
Sometimes.....seeing family members drink makes me hope that they will look at my choice, and join me..
Amen
Old 12-13-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My family is non drinking except for my sister, who will get a six pack of beer to last for her four day visit!! I have no triggers about holidays as my drinking was done all day every day all by myself. I am now a happy non drinker no matter where I am.