OT - Good, Interesting, Fun, Books?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - Good, Interesting, Fun, Books?

Hi all,

this is completely OT. I'm looking for a good book to read over the Christmas break and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions? Don't really want to read anything alcoholism/ codependent related, though I wouldn't mind an inspirational book. So any good books you are reading right now that you can recommend?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you talking non-fiction or fiction? Because I just read Sue Kidd Monk's "The Secret Lives of Bees" last week and loved that -- but that's fiction.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just read "A Piece Of Cake" by Cupcake Brown. It is about addiction but is very inspirational and one of the best memoirs I've ever read, literally couldn't put it down.

I also just finished a book called The Help by Kathryn Stockett which was fabulous. It's about segregation in Mississippi in the 60's from the point of view of two black maids and one white woman who helps them tell their story. It's fiction and fab!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm unclear on the forum rules if you can suggest non-AA self-help books? I've read a couple in the past few months that really applied to my situation, but I don't want to break any rules...

In a former life, I did literary criticism for a living, so when I want to relax, I want easy reading.

I tend to read detective stories for relaxation. Sara Paretsky is my favorite, but I also really enjoy Sue Grafton.

And for fun reading, I like to reread Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." It's silly and outrageous and his language handling is amazing. And if you don't want quite that silly, he's also written a non-fiction book called "Last Chance to See" where he gets sent by National Geographic, together with a photographer, to document the ten (I think) most endangered animal species on the planet. I know it's hard to believe that a book about animals close to extinction can be riotously funny, but I swear, it is.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really like the Fortress in the Eye of Time series by CJ Cherryh. I'm re-reading the series and am on the 2nd: Fortress of Owls. Another excellent read is The Wisdom of Forgiveness by the Dalai Lama and Victor Chan.

I just heard about another book by the Dalai Lama, The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality, that after the thread by JDS about HPs has me very intrigued. It may be my next search at the Library.

If you're looking to ROFLMA, A Dirty Job: A Novel by Christopher Moore is good for that, as is his book Lamb, the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. (Though I wouldn't recommend it to my mom or her foster parents, ordained ministers... As the title suggests, it's totally irreverent.)

Right now, if I had to pick one favorite to recommend, it'd be The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye.

I can go on and on.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wait, my favorite Sci Fi/Fantasy series is The Summer Queen, The Snow Queen, Tangled Up in Blue by Joan D Vinge. I think there's one more.... World's End maybe. I also love her short story, I think it was titled Tin Soldier in her collection Eyes of Amber.

Or, This Alien Shore by CS Friedman.

OK, I'm a Sci Fi/Fantasy enthusiast. I do read more, honest, but when some one asks for Fun books, these come to mind.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really enjoyed "The Kite Runner" this year. It has been on the best seller list for around 3 years?

I am a book addict. Always reading...so keep the ideas coming!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The Girls from Ames, by Jeffrey Zazlow, non-fiction about women's lifelong friendships.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Second "The Girls from Ames" -- that's what I read on my last work trip!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rising from the Ashes

I know it's not a reading book but I enjoy word search puzzle books. In fact, after I came back into reality from my vascular dementia, and my son found out that I was working in one of those books, he knew I was going to be ok!

As someone from the "Republic of Texas" I have "Decision Points" by George W. Bush on my Christmas list.

A good read that I would recommend is "Climb your Stairway to Heaven: the 9 habits of maximum happiness" written by David Leonhardt. It is a motivational and inspirational self-help book to help you find happiness in your daily life. It combines 225 pages of tips, ideas and inspiration for greater happiness, 9 habits for daily happiness, 29 fictional stories (including fairy tales for adults), and 32 self-help exercises, 50 just for fun pop quizzes.

"A good disposition is a virtue in itself, and it is lasting; the burden of the years cannot depress it, and love that is founded on it endures to the end."
* Ovid

Just my personal opinion,
Phoenix
Old 12-11-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

uncertainty I love Christopher Moore (but that would again show my warped sense of humor). Which is why I also like the early Carl Hiaasen books. His later ones started to get a bit contrived.

I love Peretsy too. Kinda burned out on Sue Grafton by the time she got to H Lawrence Block books about Bernie Rhodenbarr (he's a burlgar). They make me laugh out loud. Well so does Christopher Moore and Carl Hiaasen.

Also my very favorite non-fiction author in the entire world is Walter Mosley. His books are incredibly diverse. The guy is amazing. I've read them all. I especially like the Easy Rawlins series. For contemporary writers I have not found anyone I like better.

Steinbeck-can't go wrong there.

Good laugh (especially if you like legal stuff. . .and even if you don't) Rumpole of the Bailey. You can read all about She Who Must be Obeyed. Not sure if you have to work in the legal field to find those funny.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Rayn I read Lolita in high school (I hid it under my pillow )

Me too. Keep them coming. I can't go into a shopping mall for more than an hour but can spend an entire afternoon in a bookstore! I remember one time when I was in my 20s thinking what a shame it would be because I would not ever be able to read all the books I want to before I die-lol.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Of course, I love reading the classics and the new works in my field (the sociology of race, ethnicity, class, gender, and sociolinguists, in particular). . .

However, "for fun," I will pick up the book, Radical Forgiveness, since I've heard it mentioned a few times on this forum. And I am now intrigued with A Piece of Cake, by Cupcake Brown that Tally mentioned. I'm in the middle of reading, Hold onto Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld and Gabor Mate. (I'm a big Dr. Gabor Mate fan since reading In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction.)
Old 12-12-2010, 02:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Funnily enough, I'm a big fan of books (and I have a degree in English Literature too)!

I like crime. Some of my favourites are:
Kathy Reichs who writes about a forensic anthropologist.
Carol O'Connell wrote 'Judas Child' which made me cry my eyes out!
PJ Tracy who writes about a group of friends who create software.
Susan Wittig Albert writes the less 'gritty' books with lots of recipes n stuff to try.
Janet Evanovich write the very funny Stephanie Plum series (starts with One for the Money)
The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith is the start of a lovely series of books set in Botswana.

I like classics: Jane Austen rocks in a regency way and Virginia Woolf is awesome! But I'm not too fond of 'modern classics'.

But my absolute favorite genre has to be Sci Fi and Fantasy.
I love CJ Cherryh too! My favourite series from her are the Chronicles of Morgaine.
Funniest author for me has to be Terry Pratchett. His discworld books usually make me laugh out load at least once when reading them and they all merit at least a second read, just to pick up on the stuff you missed the first time round.
Then next funniest, I think, is Douglas Adams. I like the Dirk Gently books.
I like Liz Williams, especially her Detective Inspector Chen books. Fantasy with a twist.
Kristine Kathryn Rusch writes good books - I love her Retreival Artist books and The Fey series.
Susanna Clarke wrote 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' - a Regency fantasy novel I love.
Peter F Hamilton and Neal Asher are 2 very good sci fi authors who write complex but engaging novels. Neil Gaiman is another author who can do very little wrong it seems!
And I like 'The Lies of Locke Lamorra' by Scott Lynch, Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books, Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros books and I could go on and on and on...

Non genre ficton - I recently read 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time' a very moving, funny and bittersweet novel. 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak is also really very good. And I was completely absorbed by 'Posession' by AS Byatt.

Oh and favourite non-fiction author would have to be Bill Bryson. Makes me smile every time!

I could go on and on and on but I'll pause there! Can you tell I use my library and second hand book shops well? I also use www.bookmooch.com to swap books.

Theuncertainty, I've never read any Joan D Vinge - I think I'll keep a look out. Is she any relation to Vernor Vinge who wrote the excellent 'A Deepness in the Sky' and 'A Fire Upon the Deep'? I'll also look up Christopher Moore - sounds fun!

Last edited by bookwyrm; 12-12-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: added even more!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you haven't read Eat,Pray, Love..it is great!I also like any Jodi Oicoult books..the best is My Sisters Keeper, but they are all pretty good.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

David Sedaris is also hilarious and if you want something for the holiday season the Santaland Diaries-well I had to stop the car and pull over to listen to them when he was reading on NPR because I was laughing so hard I was crying.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey, Bookwyrm. Joan D Vinge is married to Vernor Vinge. They're both amazing! The Snow Queen is truly gorgeous; there is such depth to her characters and the worlds are incredibly rich. Thanks for the bookmooch link; I'm looking forward to trading books.

Another great classic is Cecilia by Fanny Burney.

I love this thread and have expanded my library search list.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

oh my. I've been into vampire mystery stories lately, mostly Charlene Harris - Sookie Stackhouse novels. Completely trashy but fun!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ooops, sorry I posted here and then got sidetracked.... but here I am and whoa... thank you all so much for all the book suggestions... now I got a ton to choose from !!! Most of them I haven't read yet.

I did read the kite runner and the second book by that author and really liked those too, Live.

Oh and I was thinking of reading Eat, Pray, Love - Keepinon - but wasn't sure if should read the book or just watch the movie instead?!

Ok, as soon as I get a minute, I'm gonna start looking at some of the books you suggested

BTW, I had never heard of bookmooch - sounds like a great idea - think I'm gonna check that out.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So many books... Their Eyes Were Watching God (you'll cry for days), A Prayer for Owen Meany (I've read it several times and am still trying to take it all in), Stranger in a Strange Land (resonated with me on a spiritual level), The Unabridged Pinocchio (actually pretty dark), everything ever written by Ray Bradbury especially his short stories (more IQ and vision in his little finger than I have in my entire body), Paula by Isabel Allende (introspective, sorrowful, and hopeful in a weird way), all of the Cliff Janeway novels by John Dunning (Booked to Die and Bookman's wake are my favorites, detective novels with books as the uniting theme), and my favorite all-time book which is Watership Down by Richard Adams (I don't even know where to start on this, but if you think it's about talking rabbits than you'd best never read another fictional book again).

Thanks for the topic.

Happy Holidays!

Cyranoak