Notices

Hi Everyone

Old 12-11-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Hi Everyone

Hello my name is Eddie and i am new to all this. Ive been wanting to quit drinking for awhile now and i finally decided that enough is enough and i need to start now. I am unsure of where to begin, how to go about quitting, i feel that the alcohol has a grasp on my life and that i will be unable to quit. If anyone has any advice or words of wisdom i would appreciate any comments, i really just want to turn my life around and make myself a better person.....
Old 12-11-2010, 04:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Edd! It's generally recommended that you see your doctor for help in getting safely thru the initial physical withdrawals (which usually last a few days to a week). After you've detoxed and the alcohol is out of your body, do you have a plan for maintaining sobriety? A support group like AA or SMART or one of the other programs for sobriety? I'm staying sober using a mix of some AA meetings, weekly counseling, and this site.

Lots of people here are staying sober just using this site for support. There are many ways to stay sober, I hope you can find or make the one you need.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome to the site.

Yes, you can stop drinking, but it requires action. You may have to change things in your life.
Why not try an AA meeting? There are people there who can relate, and help you get sober.

Whatever path you choose, I wish you the best.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Hello and welcome! This is a wonderful place. Do share with us more about yourself. I can guarantee someone or many of us will be able to relate to your situation!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome to SR! I was also very unsure about how to start living sober. I was a heavy beer drinker for nearly 30 years (I drank 12-18 beers per day, EVERY day for the last 10 of those years). When I finally admitted to myself that I had a problem, I just took things one day (sometimes one hour) at a time. That was nearly 18 months ago. I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since June 21, 2009, and my life is SO much better for it. You really need to take a hard look at yourself and decide if you're really ready to change. We've all been where you're at to some degree or another and we're always here to help you.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Eddie, you've already taken a huge first step by posting here. There are a ton of great people here who are more than willing to help. Please keep posting...it can and does get better.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Eddy!

I'm glad you found us and that you have decided to live a sober life.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome! You will find support here. Read around...and Post.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of good advice here
Keep reading and posting Eddie.

Welcome!
D
Old 12-11-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum - it takes some courage to make that decision to quit (I didn't think I could do it, either). One thing for sure: we can't do it on our own. Support is the ticket and there are lots of options out there.

Glad you're here!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of ways people have gotten and stayed sober. For me, AA is working. I haven't needed to take a drink since July 17, 2010, and I didn't think I could go two days! I generally only can make 1-2 AA meetings a week but the 12 steps have seemed to make sense for me and I have had a lot of help from a sponsor. Others have had great success with substance abuse therapists and this forum.

The early days of sobriety can be tough, and detox can be medically dangerous, so you might want to see a Dr. and tell him/her about your drinking and decision to stop.

Welcome, and congrats on making a good step in the right direction!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Eddie, Welcome to SR, You'll get lots of support, good information and advice here. First thing is Please see your dr first, he/she can help you detox safely.

I was in your shoes 22 months ago and said the same thing "enought is enought" I was a 30+ years drinker. The key for me was start a program of recovery, AA is one option, but there are others. But whatever program you choose PUT ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND ENERGY INTO IT. To get started you need to have a open mind. For me I was not able to solve this problem myself. You can do this Eddie!

Best wishes, and I hope you find your path in sobriety.

Road