What are you doing for yourself this holiday season?

Old 12-10-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are you doing for yourself this holiday season?

I'm celebrating the first holiday season as a free woman in 20 years, so it has to count!

First of all, I am not doing anything I don't want to.

~ I'm only cooking food I love to eat (take that, turkey! & Bring On The Cookies!)
~ I've invited people I love who don't have family in town and who would otherwise be celebrating alone to come to my house for Christmas.
~ I've overloaded the Christmas tree with decorations to the point where I dare anyone to tell from six feet away whether it's a real tree or a fake one.
~ I've cut waaaaay back on the Christmas presents (a necessity that's actually turned into a very good thing) and told the kids they have to make all Christmas presents this year. It's amazing the creativity they have displayed, and I can't wait to see the reactions of the siblings!
~ I'm spending New Years Eve alone. And before you feel sorry for me, I've spent 20 years of New Years Eves alone, except I've had a passed-out drunk somewhere in the house (some years even in a bed!) disrupting my peace. This year, I'm deliberately celebrating alone -- I'm going to order takeout from my favorite sushi restaurant, a plate so large they'll have to send out an extra fishing boat just for my order, and reading some good books and warming my toesies in front of the fireplace.

Tell me what you're doing to care for yourself this holiday season!
Old 12-10-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lifelong dream of sailing across the Atlantic. I guess that's one way of escaping the stresses of Christmas!

Yours sounds excellent.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow!!!! Now THAT's what I call taking charge of your life! Go Bolina!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cruising the Pacific sounds very nice, and doing what you want for the 1st time is great.

I am starting Christmas with Midnight Mass, then at 9am, going to 2nd daughter's house to see my family open up gifts, have a kiss and cuddle session and home to RABF's home for Lunch. He is not feeling well enough to celebrate, thanks to Colitis and other nasties and my knee has decided to give me 15 years of pent up agony, so a quiet Christmas day is what I need.

I secretly celebrated (by myself) RABF's 12 months of sobriety a month ago, and here is to many more years of it, PLEASE God.

All of you have a ball, where-ever you are.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have used every string of lights I can find and hung them up.
I am not buying presents either, cant afford them and neither can the kids.
I am buying myself some used books on Amazon, something in the self help area.
And get knowledgable about buying a house.
Yes, a delicious perfect my way Christmas.

Beth
Old 12-10-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is my first Christmas I will be spending alone - without my ex or with family members. My parents and I were never close so I've decided not to spend it with them just because the ex and I are done.

I put up my Christmas tree for the first time in years. I'm making a list of all the things I plan to cook for myself...a small turkey, stuffing, my mom's special punch, etc. I have my three cats, plenty of books and plan to rent a lot of movies. I was depressed a few months ago when I realized I would be spending Christmas alone, but now I'm looking forward to it. It's me time!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am buying myself a christmas ornament.

Yeah, I know it sounds silly, but the last few years living with a pill-head made it completely impossible to have a christmas tree, decorate the house, or just have a holiday season of any kind.

I moved out on my ex mid December a few years ago, and that first holiday I was a mess. I was living in a cozy, tiny place behind the Salvation Army with not much room for anything. I got me a table top tree, one row of xmas lights that was actually too much for the size of the tree and one ornament. A butterfly.

The symbol of al-anon is the butterfly. Because you can't learn how wonderful it is to fly until you have the courage to stop being a caterpillar and let go of the safety of the branch.

Every year since then I go out and get another butterfly ornament. I have a bigger place now. Okay, not _much_ bigger, and more decorations, but I still pull out that little tree with it's one string of lights and put it up on the bookshelf in the living room. I've met all kinds of people thru al-anon, and there's been tons of newcomers come thru my house. I tell them the story of the butterfly and give them one. Then I go replace it, and some other newcomer comes by.... I only have two right now, so it's time I went and replaced a few.

That tree helps me remember how bad I allowed my life to become, and how wonderful it now is simply because I started investing as much time in _me_ as I was spending on _her_.

Mike
Old 12-10-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This year I am all about eating well!

I started my holiday season this evening as a matter of fact.

Steak with coconut shrimp, au gratin potatoes, brussels sprouts and new york cheese cake.
and I didn't cook any of it.

that is spoiled.

(my sis sent two chests of food treats ~ heat and eat ~ from Omaha steaks (yum on those potatoes!)

I had all ready planned the gluttony but it just got easier!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great thread. I haven't thought about it but will think of one small thing to have as a personal and meaningful tradition.

I'm overwhelmed and overstressed so something small
Old 12-10-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do want to go to Midnight mass...always my favorite part of Christmas!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Portion control.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i bought myself a woodburning craft kit. it just struck me that i would really love to smell burnt wood and create something with it. I thought I would put it in my stocking, but I might not be able to wait that long.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Skipper

I'm going 'back home' to see my folks for the first time in 6 years. I'd always felt tied to here before.

We're gonna have some fun, and hopefully we'll see some snow!