Can someone explain the differences?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Yankee

Thumbs down Can someone explain the differences?

As you know, I am a newcomer since yesterday. A member sent me a welcome greeting along with some info on Nar-Anon (which i am grateful for). However, I do not know the difference between Co-Anon, Nar-Anon & Al-Anon. I knew Co-Anon was for friends and family members of loved ones who suffer from addiction. But I thought that Al-Anon & Nar-Anon was for recovering addicts and not family/friends. Any clarification would be appreciated.

If someone can help me with any of the abbreviations that are used regularly in the posts, that would be super awesome. I know a few of them from belonging to the emeeting of Co-Anon, but I try to guess on the majority of them.

I would like to purchase some literature to help with my recovery, something that offers daily inspirations/reminders. Any suggestions? I know I asked a lot of questions today, thanks for reading!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Well co-anonymous is Codependents anonymous, so I'm not sure how that constitutes friends and family of addicts. Al-anon is friends and family of alcoholics and nar-anon is friends and family of drug addicts.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Yankee

Thank you for the info on that =) I am glad I am in the right place!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

CoDA (Codependents Anonymous), Al-anon and Nar-anon are three similar fellowships that are each about US and our own recovery, and many here (myself included) have found these meetings to be real life savers.

AA (Alcoholics Anonymous), NA (Narcotics Anonymous) are about recovery from addictions and are for those who need help and support recovering from substance abuse. Some of us here have attended what are called "open" meetings, and found them helpful in understanding the disease of addiction, but for the most part it is often more helpful to stick to our own meetings (the Anon meetings) and work on ourselves.

It is often suggested to try several meetings in your area in order to find one that "fits" for you. Some meetings are larger than others, some may have members with whom you can relate better than others...but the important thing is to keep trying. I promise you that you will be glad you did.

Hugs
Old 12-10-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Yankee

Ann,

Im going to my first meeting next tuesday. There are 2 in my area, so I hope that one of them is comfortable and works for me. Thank you for the info, it helped!
Old 12-10-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you are finding a f2f (face to face) meeting in your area. It really helps. I have to say though that SR (Sober Recovery--this forum) has been particularly helpful for me. Support is here 24/7 and there have been times where I've really needed support when there wasn't a meeting available for a few days.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 12-13-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Yankee

ke,

I have found this forum has helped me a lot too. I am glad to have found it.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
tam

I attended both naranon and alanon meetings (both for family/friends of addicts) the people were very,very nice and comforting. You dont have to worry about a thing they welcome you right away. what is good about them is they are face to face and you get to share your story as well as hear theirs which you will find comforting to hear as everyone can relate.
however, I would say this forum was my best tool, reading the stickies and the posts are truly what got me through recovery.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Yankee

Tam,

I read some of the stickies as well. They were very insightful to me. I am looking forward to the f2f meetings, thanks for letting me know that they are welcoming. Being in front of people, strangers or not, and talking about how I feel is not my strong point. =)