Finally heard back on my disability hearing...

Old 12-09-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally heard back on my disability hearing...

I had another disability hearing back in early September, and this was the second time around. It's the most drawn out, discouraging process, and I've been at this since 2007.

At least they didn't deny me...yet. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist on Dec. 16, and an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon (the one who originally diagnosed my spinal stenosis in 2006) on December 21. Nothing like getting one week's notice on the psych appointment. Both appointments are in Wichita, and they sent the forms to me to get reimbursed for the mileage. I'll have to drive myself.

I don't have expectations on any of this stuff, haven't for quite some time. Once again I'll turn the results over to God. I don't particularly look forward to driving in Wichita during the holiday season as the motorists are bad enough as it is, but that's the way the ball bounces.

I tried talking to my sponsor the other night after an AA meeting about living with chronic pain, but he doesn't understand. I feel like I waded through this last semester in a haze of pain, and it affected my concentration, retention, and grades unfortunately. I feel really isolated at times with my pain issues and my friends in AA.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best Wishes DeVon - it took me years to get it in my country...they make it hard - but don't give up
D
Old 12-09-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

and an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon (the one who originally diagnosed my spinal stenosis in 2006) on December 21
Now that is great news!!!!! He should put in a good report.

My first exams ordered by SS were with a real jerk and, of course, I was denied. By the time I went through the whole dang appeal process, several times, and was again sent to a SS Dr to be examined, I got a gem, and of course, I was worse almost 3 years later.

3 weeks after they got his report I got the call I had been approved.

So ............................... keeping fingers, toes, and legs crossed and sending positive thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-09-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Now that is great news!!!!! He should put in a good report.

My first exams ordered by SS were with a real jerk and, of course, I was denied. By the time I went through the whole dang appeal process, several times, and was again sent to a SS Dr to be examined, I got a gem, and of course, I was worse almost 3 years later.

3 weeks after they got his report I got the call I had been approved.

So ............................... keeping fingers, toes, and legs crossed and sending positive thoughts and prayers.
That was my experience too the first time around. The psychiatrist was at the SRS office in Hutchinson, and I don't think it took 30 minutes with him. The physician was just as bad.

This psychiatrist is a PhD and a clinical asst. professor, University of Kansas School of Medicine. Hopefully he will be better than the first one!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there Devon !!!! ((( hugs )))

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
....I have an appointment with a psychiatrist on Dec. 16, and an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon (the one who originally diagnosed my spinal stenosis in 2006) on December 21. .....
woooo hooooo that's awesome news. Keep fighting the good fight, and we'll be cheering you on.

.... I tried talking to my sponsor the other night after an AA meeting about living with chronic pain, but he doesn't understand......
Why would he? Normies don't understand alkies, teenagers don't understand parents, dogs don't understand cats, you know what I mean That's why AA split off from the Oxford groups, and NA split off from AA and on and on and on.

.... I feel like I waded through this last semester in a haze of pain, and it affected my concentration, retention, and grades unfortunately......
um..... yeah !!!! totally. You had _concentration_ in the middle of all that?!?!? when my pain kicks up my eyes go crossed, my brain shuts down and I'm lucky I can remember my name. And you survived school ?!?!? I think that's totally awesome and beyond anything I would even try.

.... I feel really isolated at times with my pain issues and my friends in AA .....
That's why you gut _us_ And why we got _you_ So we can lean on each other and walk each thru all this "stuff" that life throws at us.

Am praying for ya every day, and you better come tell us how it went cuz if you don't we'll be chewing on our fingernails.

Mike (((( hugs ))))
Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

What Mike said!

I had a huge 'flare' during the semester and it affected all my grades
am only NOW recapturing the speed I had coming outa the gate.

It's a thing that takes time after time after time.

ask Laurie LOL!!!

and that *IS*what we're here for!

keep on leanin on!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((((DeVon))) - I'm praying that you get approved. I get so irritated with the system that I just want to

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

ask Laurie LOL!!!
Oh boy, I was so discouraged for so long and SO FRUSTRATED my 'old ways' were really coming back and I literally had to be 'sat on' to keep from going up to Albuquerque and blowing up the regional office of SS. I am not kidding ....................... 23 years sober and all of 'my program' was out the window and the veneer of civilization was practically gone and I was ready to commit MAYHEM. That so far has been the last time that I so completely lost my temper that I was once again in 'rage' mode where all I could see was RED and all I heard was a ROAR in my ears.

So, I have to say Dev you certainly have a lot more TACT and SERENITY than I had.

Again, fingers, toes and legs are crossed and sending positive and thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-09-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and wishing for the best.
Hugs
Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rising from the Ashes

Freedom1990,
JUST FOR TODAY I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

JUST FOR TODAY I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my "luck" as it comes, and fit myself to it.

JUST FOR TODAY I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will lean something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

JUST FOR TODAY I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don't want to do - just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low, be courteous, criticize not one bit. I won't find fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.

JUST FOR TODAY I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision.

JUST FOR TODAY I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective on my life.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful, and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

reprinted with permission of Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc., Virginia Beach, VA
Old 12-10-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Would seem if you could survive the process to obtain disability, you wouldn't actually need disability (choking on my own sarcasm, ack!) Sheesh!
Makes me crazy that you are having to trudge through this quagmire of bureaucracy. It shows just what are you are willing to do to care of yourself and you are worth every effort.
I agree, let HP handle the details. You keep your eyes on the horizon and don't give up!!

(((hugs)))
Alice
Old 12-10-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Here's more wishes and prayers for a positive response from the Powers that Be.
Heck, I got my first application for disability pension approved in 3 days and had no problems with any reviews.