He has taken his life back

Old 12-08-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He has taken his life back

My son spent almost a year in jail (drug related) and after 5 years of taking opiates, he came out of jail in August and remains drug free to this day. He even quit smoking. He went into jail emaciated, gray skin, track marks, black circles under his eyes and altogether unhealthy. While in jail he started working out and thought a lot about his life, where he has been and where he wants to be. When he came out, he looked like another person...healthy, muscles, clear eyes, track marks gone.

He says that he has no desire whatsoever to take pills again and refuses to even take an aspirin. He loves his life, has a girlfriend, is working, pays me rent and plans finishing his degree.

He is a different person in his words, actions, outlook and attitude. I'm not gullible enough to think that it can't happen again, but try to remain optimistic.

I pray for the parents of the children who remain under the spell of drugs, that your children will one day take back their lives and learn to love themselves again.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for sharing this...it is indeed great news!

Who would have thought that jail would be the answer?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for that glimpse of hope.

My daughter has warrants out and it's a matter of time before she's back in jail - possibly for quite awhile. I fully believe (KNOW) that incarceration is not the worst thing she could be facing at this moment. She's living a very dangerous life and I hope she MAKES it to jail.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Helpformyson! I remember your screen name! Thank you so much for the good update. I know it is common for family members to move away from this site once their loved one has moved away from their drugs/alcohol. I expect I will do the same. So I thank you for coming back here today to encourage us !

Sojourner
Old 12-08-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

So, so glad to hear that! I hope it continues in the right direction now that he has had a chance to taste clean and sober!

Hugs,
Marteen
Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is such wonderful news. Thank you for sharing. As difficult as it might have been to know that your son was in jail, it was a good place for him since being clean and sober is the result.

gentle hugs
Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
it is what it is

thank you so much for sharing such wonderful news - my AS is in jail now and will be for a while longer - it seems he is doing the same thing as your son - he is giving a lot of thought to how he got where he is and how he can have a different life when he gets out - i've said before, jail is certainly not the worst thing that can happen and it does give them time to think - i will pray that your son continues steadfastly in his recovery- blessings!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing his positive turnaround!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am so very happy for your son and your family. My AS has court today and I am terrified that he will be released. You gave me hope that maybe jail can finally be his eye opener. This, is about his 12th time there... One would think huh.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

for all of you parents in the same situation that I found myself....jail can be a turnaround if it is long enough. When I found out my son had a warrant out, I called the police and told them where they could find him. I figured jail was better than dead. I finally told him it was me who turned him in, expecting anger/hatred/a lost relationship, I was not prepared for him to tell me that it was a good thing and he would have continued to use because he could not get off the merry-go-round by himself. Although he will always have a hard time getting a decent job because of the record, he is alive and grateful.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing it always gives me hope I read things like this. My daughter just recently got out from her 2nd 6 months in jail. I can only pray that in the future I to will be able to come on here an give a good report. Right now it to soon to tell.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My son has been to jail several times. Last time he was there for 7 months and then went to rehab for 4 months for the rest of his term. Tonight he was arrested and is back in jail for a drug felony of possession. He just came out of Psych ER this morning. I pray he will see the light and get sick and tired of his choices that got him into jail. I pray he won't have to go to prison, which he could face. Unfortunately, all my son has done is get angry about being in jail and blaming others for his having been there, especially his dad and brother since they wouldn't let him stay with them and keep using, so he got arrested while using and homeless. This time he had a place to stay, at least temporarily with me, while he was working on getting into court ordered rehab for a probation violation. At least he can't blame anyone but himself this time for what happened. Maybe that will make a difference. Thank you for your post. It gives one hope.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so happy to hear such great news. I'll pray for you and him.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Yankee

Helpformyson,

Great and inspiring news. I am so very happy for you, him & your family. Enjoy your holidays!!