Notices

New to this

Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New to this

Hey everyone. It is hard for me to even admit that I have an addiction but I know I do and I'm ready to stop it. For the past year I have been taking a lot of pain killers. It all started for a good reason, I actually did need them. I get very bad ear aches and around the same time I had to get work done on my tooth. I started taking them because they were prescribed to me. At first, I did not even want to take too many because my father suffered with addiction to painkillers for a very long time until one day his addiction became fatal and he is now paralyzed because of it. I never thought this would happen to me, but because I was in pain so often and I took them often, I became addicted. Another family member gets painkillers every month and she tells me I can take them whenever I need them. At first I would just take them when I was in pain, which would be like maybe two a day at the most. Now I take like 4 to 5 a day and it is not always because I'm in pain but because I just like the feeling. The problem is I am still in pain because I am getting dental work done every week, but every time I take them for my actual pain, I get out of hand and take them when I'm not actually in pain. I've decided enough is enough. Nobody in my family has actually said anything to me about the fact that a lot of the pain pills go missing, it seems to go unsaid. The family member who gets the pills every month is very caring and she hates to see anyone in pain, so she gives me them whenever I ask, sometimes I think she knows I'm not in pain but she has been use to it with other family members so I think she just doesn't want to say anything. The problem is, I'm not trying to blame her, but I need her to tell me no. Now, I'm at the point where I will take them when I'm not in pain and then when I am actually in pain I have nothing to help. I have decided now as I sit here at 4 am that it is enough. I need to stop. Even though I know there are some sitting in the other room that I could take and I want to take, I am not going to because I don't want to be dependent. I want to live without thinking about them or that I need them. So, I know it is going to be hard to deal with this but I want to and I have to do it for myself and my family. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for me to help me deal with this everyday, since this is new for me. Also, I still have dental work to go and I am given pain medication for the work my dentist does. Are there any tips for taking the medication while in pain, but not over-doing it? I could really use the advice. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi veryshy

Welcome to SR
Originally Posted by veryshy View Post
Another family member gets painkillers every month and she tells me I can take them whenever I need them. The family member who gets the pills every month is very caring and she hates to see anyone in pain, so she gives me them whenever I ask, sometimes I think she knows I'm not in pain but she has been use to it with other family members so I think she just doesn't want to say anything. The problem is, I'm not trying to blame her, but I need her to tell me no.
I'll be straight with you here.

Actually I think you need to tell her no, veryshy.
Your recovery is your responsibility, not your relatives.

Many of us had well meaning but enabling relatives or friends. If you really want to make changes in your life you need to institute them - none fo us can afford to wait on others to do it for us.

It's up to you to draw a line in the sand, and to look for support - joining SR is good but have you thought of recovery groups like NA as well?

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for me to help me deal with this everyday, since this is new for me. Also, I still have dental work to go and I am given pain medication for the work my dentist does. Are there any tips for taking the medication while in pain, but not over-doing it? I could really use the advice. Thank you.
I don't know of tips for learning control veryshy - if I did there'd be no need for places like SR.

Does your dentist know about your addictions tho? I know it's hard to open up about things like this, but it comes back again to how much you want to change your situation, I think.

There may be other alternatives available - I've had extensive dental work myself recently - some work may not need any more than an OTC pain relief.

You may find reading in our substance abuse forum is helpful to you too
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 12-08-2010, 02:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

The only way your family member is going to tell you no is if you tell her to tell you no, like Dee said. For the future pain pills you get for the future dental work the only thing I cold recommend is to give them to someone you trust. You're also going to have to tell them that you have a history of abusing them and that they can only give you the rx'd amount. Your sobriety is your responsibility, no one else's. So seek out other help, like a recovery program. Once the addiction has been started its very difficult to beat, especially on your own. You will need help doing this, we're here for you, but trust me when I say that SR alone will not keep you sober.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. I agree. I should have been looking at it from that point of view. I wasn't trying to blame her, even though it came across that way. That is a good suggestion. It is difficult to open up. If he suggests, or he sometimes asks, what pain medicine I will need I will definitely tell him to give me something that is equivalent to an over-the-counter medicine. He gave me me ib profen once when I got very little work done and they did help with the swelling and pain. I'm just very new to this and I needed somewhere to go to talk with someone who will understand and be there to offer some advice. I've already taken some steps and I am ready to stop.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, John. I honestly was not trying to blame my addiction on anyone else. I know it is mine and I am taking responsibility. I could never blame her for it, she has nothing to do with it. As for the amount, my dentist usually gives me tylenol 3 and he gives me 15 pills, the amount for 5 days. The last two times he gave me the medicine, I did only take them when I needed them and they lasted me about 7 days both times. I have really been trying to stop and I'm slowly taking steps to stop.