Notices

33 days

Old 12-07-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

33 days

Hi I just wanted to report 33 days sober. The days keep getting better and easier. I was kinda bumming out last night though. I heard on the radio a sad story about some guy who's dad was an alcoholic and the dad was sober for 5 yrs then one day came home drunk and wanted to kill the mom.

It made me think that an alcoholic lives a life of constantly being on the verge of total failure. That is very sad to me. I hate the idea of spending the rest of my life being only one drink away from failure. People shouldn't have to live life in fear. Do you think that's just the cross an alcoholic needs to bare ??
Old 12-07-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RGB

Congratulations on 33 days!! That is really something to be proud of.

I think about the same thing. Just one drink away...hearing people go sober for X years and then relapsing is a bit scary.

Just one day at a time, I suppose.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't live my life on the verge of total failure.

When I was drinking, that's how I lived.

Thankfully, I no longer have to live like that. I have peace in my life and I am very grateful.

Congratulations on your 33 days sober. Know that you are getting stronger each day. I agree that alcoholism is a relentless disease, but it doesn't have to control you.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations. I have 33 days today as well. You pat my back and I'll pat yours. :-)

I don't know if this helps but I try not live my whole life today. I live one day at a time. I thank God every night for my sober day and ask him for one more day of sobriety. It's a lot easier for me to work on one day rather than forever.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by drent View Post
Hi I just wanted to report 33 days sober. The days keep getting better and easier. I was kinda bumming out last night though. I heard on the radio a sad story about some guy who's dad was an alcoholic and the dad was sober for 5 yrs then one day came home drunk and wanted to kill the mom.

It made me think that an alcoholic lives a life of constantly being on the verge of total failure. That is very sad to me. I hate the idea of spending the rest of my life being only one drink away from failure. People shouldn't have to live life in fear. Do you think that's just the cross an alcoholic needs to bare ??
I don't look at it that way at all, drent.

As you alluded to, if I'm living in fear of relapse, I'm living like I used to as a drunk, in fear.

I got sober to change that - not perpetuate it.

I've put a lot of work in to change my life since 2007.
I *want* to stay sober, I *want* to keep being the man I've become.

I need to be respectful of my alcoholism, sure - the end result will always be the same if I take a drink....but I no longer have any reason to fear my alcoholism.

I'm not the man I used to be

D
Old 12-07-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on 33 days! Think those above have given you great answers.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 33 days!!!

I have to agree with ((Dee)). I got into recovery in 2007, also. I RESPECT that I'm an addict, and one is never enough, yada yada However, I no longer fear it. I've worked hard, on my recovery, and when something throws me into a tailspin, my first reaction is "get to SR!!!". I've made many friends, here, several of whom I e-mail on a daily basis. I have f2f people who love and care about me. Amazingly, they even TRUST me....the former crackhead

I didn't get this way, overnight. It took time, a lot of praying, and a lot of encouragement from here and my f2f people. Today? Just 3 months and 2 days short of 4 years of recovery, I know I am blessed. I got to live through he!! and find my way back. There's nothing more prescious, IMO.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats

Congratulations - day 33 here also. God must have been working on us all at one time.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeIsCake View Post
Congratulations. I have 33 days today as well. You pat my back and I'll pat yours. :-)

I don't know if this helps but I try not live my whole life today. I live one day at a time. I thank God every night for my sober day and ask him for one more day of sobriety. It's a lot easier for me to work on one day rather than forever.

Good luck.
Thats cool. Imagine at the time I felt so alone you were making the same choice at the same time. Thats cool. congrats friend
Old 12-08-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pascal View Post
Congratulations - day 33 here also. God must have been working on us all at one time.
Nice. congrats to you too.