Notices

New Start

Old 12-07-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Start

Ok I have been thinking about this for months, and I finally feel like I am in a mental place where I can really have ago at quiting the booze and smokes and have a decent shot at success.

Alcohol has taken a lot from me. Ive lost 2 jobs, 3 girls, been booted for not paying the rent probably 4 times over the last 10 years. I crashed my car while reading .194 a couple of years ago, fortunately the only person I hurt was me. I wrote off a car worth 15G and insurance didn't cover it as I was DUI. I lost my license for 18 months and copped a $1500 fine. The repercussions from the crash eventually cost me my career in the military 9 months later.

And thats just the tip of it.

But I consider myself lucky. I always seem to land on my feet. I have my own business that is going well. A loving girlfriend and a great mother and father.

My girlfriend thinks I quit smoking a year ago believe it or not. I am living a lie. We are both back living with our parents saving some cash to move out early 2011 so when i sneak off to the sports club every night to down 4 beers after having had 4 at home with Dad she just assumes I'm doing paperwork. I gamble more than I should, because what else do u do when you are at a sport club alone, drinking.

Im sick of living a lie

I want to lose the 20Kg Ive packed on in the last year, be able to taste food properly, save the money I am wasting and do something positive with it and just live a healthy long life.

Im ready to stop hiding from reality behind a bottle and a smoke.

And Im looking forward to my new life, starting today.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome again soberclown

Yeah protecting the lie and hiding my drinking - pretending everything was fine, fixing up the messes afterwards - was as exhausting as the drinking, hangovers etc.

good to have you with us, mate
D
Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Oh Dee is so right. I worked so hard to hide my drinking, to try to fix the messes the next day and make everything look okay. It really was exhausting. Honestly, it was such a relief to stop drinking and not have to be looking over my shoulder every minute of the day.

It sounds like you're ready to change your life.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Living sober really rocks. My whole life is different and better than I'd ever thought possible. Just staying sober has matured into a whole new lifestyle, one of contentment and joy in living, not fear and regret and self hatred.

I too was living a lie, but I was the only person believing that lie. Everyone else saw through it. I was only fooling myself.

You'll find a lot of support here. Lots of useful information too. And we're open 24/7, no matter where you are.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind messages, Ill be sure to check in and let you all know how its going

Clown
Old 12-08-2010, 03:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

new start here 2

Hey Buddy, going to join you and make 8th dec 2010 my day too, i was here a few weeks ago, and messed up big style the weekend, just one long drunk weekend, and still not right to go to work, think am going to tell work why i was off, and going to the doc this evening. good luck
Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! A sober life is so much richer than a drinking life...people who think its boring are doing it wrong:-) its the greatest experience of my life and I hope you are enjoying all the rewards soon too!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back paddyb

D