Notices

New to SoberRecovery

Old 12-06-2010, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to SoberRecovery

Hello all. I am new to the SR world and this is my first post. I've been reading other posts for about a week now and am interested in hanging around. I've been an alcoholic for 4 years now and have 32 days of sobriety, AGAIN. This time I hope to make it. I have a lot of support from my family which has been a godsend. I've tried AA but don't really feel like it's for me. I've tried many times in the past to stop drinking with my longest stretch being 7 months. This time feels really different though. I've not wanted to drink again since I've stopped. I'm really scared that this feeling will wear off and I'll drink again. I'm tired of being a disappointment to my family and myself. I've actually started to feel better physically and emotionally again. The only other problem I seem to have this time is that I'm not social anymore. I don't have a driver's license so getting around is difficult anyway but I've gotten to where I don't like going out. It's as if I know if I don't go out I know I won't drink because I can't buy it and there is never any in the house because I've been staying with my folks. I seem to be rambling so I'll leave this post with what I've already said.

Everyone here seems to be very genuine and helpful which is why I've kept coming back.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on 32 days! I'm ay Day 23. You'll find lots of support and understanding here.

Glad you decided to join and post.

This place is open 24/7, great place to visit when you need a lift, or even if you don't!

-SD
Old 12-06-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the boards! I have 7 days today and the people are really wonderful. Have you tried more than one AA meeting? I have tried several myself and really don't like some of them but others are better. Welcome and congrats on your 32 days!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome LifeisCake

Coming here made all the difference for me
even tho I was 'done' last time...the beast wasn't dead yet...I've had my moments...I think support is vital.

Coming here and reaching out - reading, posting and helping others - really helped me to get to a point where I've worked hard to change and I'm now no longer scared I'll drink again...

I hope we can be as helpful to you too
D
Old 12-06-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Welcome to SR and Congrats on the 32 days. You will find an abundance of support here and as mentioned earlier its open 24/7/365. I use this as my support group away from my local support group. I don't like calling people at late ours of the night or very early morning, so I log on here. It's hard to try to stay sober on your own you need some sort of recovery program. There are other choices out there other than AA. I personally chose AA because I know people that it worked for. I was uncomfortable with it at first but then I started making some wonderful friends in the rooms. Have you tried a women's only meeting, or did you do a coed meeting? You might be a little more comfortable with the women's meetings as you may be able to relate to them a little easier.

But like I said there are other programs out there. You can ask one of the site moderators for a list of them. If I'm not mistaken Dee74 has a list of the recovery programs that are out there. Just ask him and I'm sure he'll be glad to shoot you the list, if he hasn't already.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. I think I'm going to like it here.

To answer some of the AA questions...Yes, I've tried more than one meeting and more than one type of meeting. I'm lucky to have a variety in my area. Closest to me I have 2 regular open meetings, 1 book study meeting and 1 ladies only meeting. I like attending all of them and the people there are wonderful, they truly make me feel like I'm part of the group and I don't feel judged. It really has taken me the longest time to realize that I'm not unique in this illness and contrary to my belief there are others that have had things a lot worse than me. I think the part I don't like about AA is the feeling of being shackled to a sponsor, this just doesn't feel normal to me for some reason but like I said with the whole sponsor thing aside I like going to the meetings.

Has anyone else felt this way?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I sponsor is someone to help you through the steps, someone to show you what they did... They are not supposed to run your life or shackle you ... Not at all. Find one who will simply lay out what she did and guide and challenge you. It is a good thing, sponsorship.

Keep looking.

Welcome to SR!!
Old 12-06-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

A sponsor from my understanding is someone who gives you advice and helps you through the steps. You are no more shackled to a sponsor as you are the program. When choosing a sponsor you look for someone who has qualities you would like for yourself, someone who has what you want. When I say someone who has what you want I don't mean material possessions. So don't go looking for someone that drives a Mercedes because you might want one...lol
Old 12-06-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AA person either, and I've depended on books and SR to support me with my recovery.

And, yes, it has been comforting for me to know that I am not alone with this disease. The reason I keep coming here to SR is because people understand.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think one of the greatest tools our generation has vs. 10+ years ago is forums like SR.

No matter what your severity is and relation to alcohol, these forums are an excellent way to find support and meaning for yourself, which is the most important thing you can accomplish.

At any point during the day (with access to a computer) you can tap into the minds of numerous individuals looking to help, numerous individuals experiencing similar situations, and even those less fortunate who are much worse off than you. Stick around, read, contribute, ramble.... SR "is" the place to be
Old 12-06-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by LifeIS
I'm really scared that this feeling will wear off and I'll drink again.
I found that fear gets replaced with my commitment to remain sober. Then it becomes the excitement of rediscovering myself...without fear or reservations.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My new addiction is sobriety... It is quite empowering
Old 12-06-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

JoeCree - Thanks for your post. I never thought of sobriety that way. I think that's great.

Thanks again to everyone else for your encouragement and suggestions.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your 32 days sober and welcome to the family!