Notices

Military Question...

Old 12-06-2010, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Military Question...

I've posted on here a few times...but just can't seem to control this whole drinking thing, you know? Well...I guess you know.

I was thinking about joining the Navy or something along those lines. Just to get some structure, learn a trade and get away from that bottle for awhile. Currently I'm not working...so I have the spare time. I only know how to play the guitar, write mortgages and drink...and none of those seem to be working for me. :

I spoke with a recruiter...who although seemed like a nice guy...came off a little "salesmany", you know? I like the idea of the structure...but not the idea of getting shot at one day.

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience or advice in this area. Do I think I'll do it and never think about booze...no...of course not. Just wondering if there are any un-unbaised opinions on it.

Thanks...
Old 12-06-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was under the impression that drinking was a big thing in the services. I think you need to think very carefully about this. Cause once you sign up you belong to the state and this is no small matter. You could always go to France and join the French Foreign Legion, lol. I had a fantasy about doing that once but never went through with it.
Maybe you should read a few military forums and get and idea if you would like the lifestyle.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah, also, joining the military during a war probably isn't a great idea if you don't want to get shot at. Besides, joining the armed forces is quite a drastic measure to take just to quit drinking. There must be an easier way.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've only been for 5mins so I know I'm no expert on the drinking side of things, but I know this much joining the armed forces to get away from any problem is not a good idea.
Great life and you're right can learn a trade but only if you're hearts in it, it's not like you can say to your boss after a month 'Nah this jobs not for me'
Just think hard about why you want to join. well thats my penny worth good luck
Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll leave the replies to those with specific military experience Johnny but generally I'd say signing up for something to get away from something else is never a good idea - and it rarely works.

D
Old 12-06-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think signing up will make me not want to drink again...was just curious if the discipline or structure helped or assisted anyone else on here.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Johnny,

I have been fortunate enough to call a number of servicemen my friends over the years. They are some of the most amazing people I have ever know. I have heard that the military is very good at straightening out kids who lack focus and discipline.

That said, it is hard, in ways that I can't even begin to imagine. I suggest you read a book called "One Bullet Away", an excellent narrative of what it takes to be in the military. Military men (in my experience) seem to fall into one of two categories in terms of booze...men who don't drink or drink barely at all or men who drink too much. I would worry that it would make your problem worse.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by SpanishJohnny View Post
I don't think signing up will make me not want to drink again...was just curious if the discipline or structure helped or assisted anyone else on here.
If your problem is alcohol then it "might" work. I went to a hard-core military college (not the service but......) where we couldn't leave campus much, all bags coming in were subject to inspection, no alcohol was allowed on campus let alone in the rooms, and the place was full of wanna-be hard-a$$es who'd be more than happy to bust someone for having alcohol in their room. I didn't drink much when I was there but my alcoholism thrived.

If your problem is alcoholism, which sounds a lot like "an alcohol problem" but isn't, then the discipline, the exercise, the new way of life, the structure, and so forth will have little to no impact at all.

Nope.....the real alcoholic (aka chronic alcoholic) is left with 2 simple choices: complete and total recovery or dying an alcoholic death.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My experience

I agree that it probably isn't a good idea to attempt to use the military as a means of controlling your drinking.

I joined in the early 80's when the economy was flat and also because my brother and father served. I worked construction before I joined and the veterans seemed to have a little something extra on the ball so I figured it was "now or never".

I wanted to go into the field of electronics and decided the Navy was the best bet. I don't know if it still holds true today but back then you didn't "make rate" or move up the pay grades in the Air Force as you did in the Navy. I wasn't too interested in the Army or the Marine Corp.

When I first joined, "liquid lunches" were very much accepted where I was stationed. For the lower pay grades there were 3 strikes then out policy on drugs. Over time, zero tolerance became the standard for drugs while the legal drug alcohol was still tolerated to a certain degree.

I found my drinking increased substantially. There was always a "Club Depression" where the booze was cheaper (and nastier) than off base. My experience was that unless it was on a training base with students, the guys outnumbered the gals 50 to 1. A group of us would start out drinking on base then to the cheap bars and then, if we had enough money, to the bars where there might be a chance of finding female companionship.

Sorry, going down memory lane. I'll close with this. Not too long before I was honorably discharged a Chief Petty Officer which is a pretty senior enlisted pay grade, was popped for a DUI at the Main Gate to the Base. He had been in trouble before due to alcohol from what I understand. I guess he didn't want to face the consequences because he went to his ship and hung himself.

I did get some excellent training in electronics which has served me well to this day. It wasn't until going through an inpatient treatment facility while in the Navy and a going back out because I didn't do what I was supposed to do in recovery, that I finally hit what I hope and pray was my bottom.

In recovery, "acceptance" is very important. In the military, "acceptance" is very important because you will not be in control of your life.

I believe there are relatively safe ratings or job specialties in the Navy and the Air Force. I'm not too sure about the other branches.

I'd say that the consequences of one's actions comes swifter and with more intensity when you are on Active Duty.

Best of luck with your journey.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
HFA

I too joined in the late 80's. No money for college and no idea where to go. I drank before I went in and more once I got to Germany. Beer was 1/2 the price of pop on base (Army). Military is a great choice, IF you choose it for the right reason. From my experience, get a bunch of guys around with nothing else to do, drinking comes natural..

Week 23
Old 12-06-2010, 11:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Everything said here is true. Retired AF here. I started drinking heavily in Germany. Talk about a great drinking culture and great beer wine etc. The military for a young recruit is a barracks full of other young recruits who want to party. Lots of folks swapped mommy and daddy for the military and got in trouble and kicked out.

Having said that, (and I joined during a war as well, before they drafted me and I had no choice at age 18,) I never regretted it, even though I didn't want to stay in for even two years, then I got something called professionalism in my blood and it turned out great.

Just remember that no matter where you run, or how far, you always take yourself with you.

Just like civilian life at that age, 18 to 26, there are two basic crowds in the military. The party crowd and the folks really having fun sober. If you join and know ahead of time that you will live in a barracks and there will be a lot of peer pressure to drink and party, and know you can stay away from that crownd and hang with the sober ones you'll not only make it but have more fun in the bargain. See the non party crowd saves their money and goes places, gets off base and tours when overseas. The party crowd only sees the on base or off base bars which are the same at 12 AM anywhere in the world and just as boring to anybody not lit themselves.

If you can't stay off the booze as a civilian how are you going to do it in the military? And the first time you are late because of a hangover is the next to last time, three strikes and you are out. Let me warn you that alcohol related incidents will get you at best a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge, and at worst military pneitentiary time at hard labor.

You also said that you didn't like the idea of being shot at. None of us did/do, but that is what the military is all about. Not the movies. Sure there are non combat jobs but even behind the fence overseas if the base is hit, bullets and bombs don't know your specialty code. When we train young people with guns, and lethal weapons systems you'd think they'd know what the job entails.

As a senior leader I can tell you that I could spot the ones that weren't going to make it within a week or two of their arrival from basic and tech school.

All that not to say you won't make it. But to say if you now, without a building full of barracks rats pressuring you to party, can't stay away from booze, then take my advice and stay away from the military until you are sober and in control of yourself in all ways. You see we all judge each other in the military as to whether we would want the person to be in a foxhole with us, or to be our wingman, in other words do we want that person to watch our back and keep us as safe as we keep them. The AF is getting much tougher on smoking and alcohol incidents. But you need to be able to roll out of the bunk at o dark thirty anytime anyplace and be there for your buddies. I had my hangovers only on weekends, and not then, when I was on call or we were on alert. There are druggies and alkies in the military, they will get caught. Less than before sure.

If you can stay sober for six months or better yet a year, then I'd say go and make it a four year adventure.

I wouldn't take back a day of my service. I also didn't start drinking more than a few drinks a week (and those only on Saturdays while grilling or watching a game, and rarely got drunk,) until my mid 30's, so I had a grip on what it took to be there when needed. Many alcoholics relapse at any stress, and you don't know stress until you are in basic and then later downrange when it gets hot, and I am not talking about the weather. Get sober first, then you will be in a much better situation to make a decision like that.

Best of luck!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

As a Veteran, I can say unequivocally that joining the military is SERIOUS business, especially now during a time of war; not some paid rehabilitation facility to see if maybe it can help you control your drinking. Work on getting YOU squared away first and then if you still believe that the HONOR and benefits that come with service to America are for you, consider joining. Otherwise, leave it alone, the last thing you want is a dishonorable discharge because you couldn't leave the booze alone during your enlistment. And if stress make you drink, then forget it because the military is the most stressful job you will ever have.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Johnny you have good solid advice and experience here. I can only add here as a spouse of active duty AF member it is a life commitment. Military comes first and I don't advise going in at this time with a drinking problem.

I think Itchy's suggestion of getting sobered up a year to be a great idea.

All the best.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My drinking became 1000 times worse when I joined the Aussie army. Having "booze parade" twice a week where you knocked off work an hour early to go have beers didnt really help im sure.

As a way of getting away from the bottle recruit school will help, but once you get out of there its a different world
Old 12-07-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR SoberClown

D