Notices

need help!

Old 12-05-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need help!

Hi, I am new here. I am so happy to find this site! A friend has taken me to two AA meetings and one NA. Because of the holidays and company I missed the last few weeks...I need a place i can go day or night.
I have been drinking since the age of 15. I had many years of sobriety while raising my children. They are now in college...I have been drinking daily since. Having ADD and being in a protracted benzo withdrawal makes it doubly hard BUT I HAVE to quit NOW! I need help!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard August69
You'll find a lot of help and support here

Read around and post as much as you like!
D
Old 12-05-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR! You are welcome here anytime. There are frequently people in chat too.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"I had many years of sobriety while raising my children."

Yep, me too. Then I turned 40, my kids left home, I had major surgery ... and I used alcohol to quiet my fears and insecurities. I've been sober 2 years now after at least 8 years of drinking every single day, until I passed out or the whiskey was gone.

You are in good company here at SR - these folks are great and it's an ongoing, 24-hour-a-day meeting opportunity. Keep coming back!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome August - This is a great place for around-the-clock support. It's saved me from caving many, many times.

I can relate to your story (and I'll be an empty-nester probably next year - it's already getting to me!). I'm glad to be sober today, and know that you can do this, too!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow... I crossed that invisible line when my oldest went off to college... Welcome
Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I relate to everything you are saying, especially the protracted benzo withdrawal. It was the worst, especially when the drinking stopped; I didn't know whether I was coming or going. I spent hours on SR every day just trying my best to get through some of the most awful days.

I hate to sound all trite, but it does get better.

I was just so used to coping with the ups and downs of life in terms of how long a benzo and/or a drink would get me into dealing mode--as in, give me an hour and I can deal with anything. Mind you, benzos can work for many. In my case, there came a time when the alcohol and then benzos were simply being used to keep me from going to another level--learning to deal with life on life's terms.