Notices

New to the group

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink New to the group

Brief history of me...

My drinking started when I was 2. My dad would let me have sips of his beer when we lived in England in the late 70's. My first drunk was when I was 7. I roamed the streets in Germany from 13 to 15, drunk every weekend. I have had chronic pain since I was 2, after a car accident. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 1991, when I was 15. I have been off and on narcotics for years. At one time I was on the Fentynal patch. I hated the way it made me feel so I had to be weaned off narcs. I was diagnosed with chronic bursitis in both hips and Degenerative Disc Disease at 30. I have had nerve blocks, drugs and even had the nerves fried to no avail. I was on my way into a pain clinic when my husband was laid off. I drank to ease the pain and ended up in a bad place. I went to the shrink to get some meds worked out for my depression when we got insurance back and ended up in inpatient rehab. I have been sobar for 18 days.

I am kinda discouraged. I went to a meeting Friday and there was no one there... I am going to try again tonight. I have been doing pretty good. The evening are the worse. I was a night drinker.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 18 days sober and for taking steps to help yourself.

You'll find lots of support here.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR! Weekends can be kind of slow, so be sure to keep posting with us!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mariah Welcome to SR

This is a great place and you'll find tons of support.

Nice to see another Tennessean too.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mariah - welcome to SR. I too am in early recovery. I totally relate to night drinking urges. I had strong cravings last night, but drank hot tea instead, and of course today am SO glad I turned to tea instead of booze.

I spend quite a bit of time on SR and it has helped me tremendously. You too will find tons of support here.

One day at a time. Congrats on 18 days - that is awesome!!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Mariah. YOu'll find lots of support and understanding people here. Congrats on your eighteen days sober.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR! Congrats on 18 days.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Mariah. Congratulations on your 18 days. Seems like your getting help and on the right path. You'll find tons of support here.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mariah

You may also be interested in our substance abuse forum
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome to SR!
D
Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!

It looks like there are a few of us from Tennessee here. I hope you're keeping warm today, and enjoying the sober (real) life!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Mariah - you've been through a lot, that's for sure. That's too bad about the meeting, but maybe it worked out because you came here and joined us!

Congratulations on your 18 days - I hope that your sobriety will help your other health issues. I felt tired and had insomnia at first, but things have gotten a lot better since those early days.

Hope you hang around - we're all in this together!!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Mariah. I am also originally from Tennessee. SR is great. I am glad you have chosen the do do the right thing, which is to help heal your body by stopping the poison (drugs and alcohol.) It feels so awesome to not have hangovers and to let your body start healing itself.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the welcomes and encouragement. I made it to an NA meeting tonight. It was awesome. I didn't even want to stop at the gas station on the way home... I don't remember the last time that happened.

It meant a lot to have the support here when I was trying to decide to go tonight.

Thank you SO much