Notices

How do I start?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MCR

How do I start?

OK... I have decided I need to stop drinking. I don't ever get stone cold drunk but I drink every day and usually at least a six-pack. I found this forum and have looked up the local AA meeting groups. I am 48 and have recently started to see some physical issues crop up that tell me I need to get off the beer.... 30 years of drinking is probably enough....any advice for a newbie on how to start the process? Thanks!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey MCR

I found the support in AA and SR invaluable.

Working the steps of AA proved crucial for me too.

This is a great place Welcome to SR.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome MCR - first, give yourself credit for getting up the nerve to admit your problem and reach out for support. That's a big first step!

I think if you just start reading a lot of posts on this forum, you'll get a good idea of what to do (and not do!) in early sobriety.

For those of us who drank for a long time, it's good to consider talking to a doctor about detox. The first couple days are the worst (in terms of withdrawal).

I took lots of B vitamins and drank a lot of water, hung out here (for support), and dealt with the mental obsession one hour at a time, just not picking up a drink. I found that after several days, things began to get easier. Then I started getting addicted to hangover-free mornings!

Good to have you with us!:ghug3
Old 12-04-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

Welcome MCR.

I agree that support groups are a good place to start, SR being one of them. Learning from other people's experiences is what got me going. I started with AA. I didn't begin doing the 12 steps right off, but just to be around and listen to people that obtained long-term sobriety did give me the hope I needed in the short run.

There's a lot that needs to be done: changing patterns in your life that would lead you to drink, having a source to answer questions, getting supportive people around you, getting past both the acute and post withdrawals... fortunately you don't have to make all the changes overnight. Things happen as a progression.

I think SR is a fantastic place to be around, and we're all certainly glad to have you.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I love this place.

You have taken the 1st step by posting here! The process has already started. You are at the right place. The support here is wonderful.

I am staying sober (62 days) by reading/posting/chatting here, online meetings, etc. I just moved and I plan to go to celebrate recovery, AA, and anything else I can find until I learn what works best for me.

I have been reading the Big Book and that really helps learning about this disease and what it is about, reading others stories...makes me feel like I am not alone (or nuts).

You will find guidance and lots of great ideas around here to help you on your journey.

Hope to see you in chat!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of great advice here so I won't add to it, except to say - sometimes it can all seem a little overwhelming if not intimidating starting this process...but all we really have to do is stay sober a day a time

welcome to SR MCR!

D
Old 12-05-2010, 03:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 12-05-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MCR

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! It was a blessing to stumble onto this web-site and forum... I'm going to try and do a local AA meeting tomorrow and get the book some of you mentioned. This will be day one!
Old 12-05-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us, and as you can see, this is a great place for support.

It's great that you are ready to stop drinking. My advice would be to not get overwhelmed, but to keep in mind that stopping drinking is the beginning. The recovery journey will likely require a lot of changes in your life.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gte yourself to a meeting and get a sponsor who is tried and tested in working the steps of AA so they can guide you through the same process...get recovered from alcoholism and enjoy the rest of your life...i would advise doing that sooner rather than later!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MCR

Hey everyone....it has been two days with no drinking and I'm doing alright. I got the Big Book and have read most of it already....I think I'm ready for a meeting but I'm really nervous about it. The meeting I can attend tomorrow is an Open / Big Book meeting.... does this mean non Alcoholic people will be there too? Family members and such? How does this type of meeting usually run? Should I wait for a Closed / Discussion meeting to attend first? Sorry for all the questions....
Old 12-06-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey MCR...congrats on your two days! I don't do AA but myunderstanding is that yes anyone can go to an open meeting...you don't have to wait for a closed meeting though...I think its all about what you are comfortable with...I'm sure one of the AA folks will be along shortly to confirm:-)
Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Anyone can attend open meetings, while closed meetings are limited to those who have a desire to quit drinking.

This is a pretty good resource too for what different meetings are like: Your first AA meeting

I like Big Book or Step Study meetings personally...they tend to stay on point about the message moreso than open discussions.

GL, MCR