Notices

problems sharing in meeting

Old 12-04-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

problems sharing in meeting

hi. new commer here. im having problems sharing in meetings where when i start to share my mind goes completely blank and i have to stop sharing. i find it very emmbarrasing as i want to share about where im at the moment and how im feeling. im 32 and had i problem with alcohol from the age of 13 and becuase im finding it hard to share and fit in with the meetings im thinking this is part of the reason i keep relapsing. im also get the feeling that people in the meetings think im not an alcoholic and im there for now reason. would be gratefull for some feedback. thanks.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I wouldn't be concerned about what the other people think about you and whether or not you're an alcoholic. It's up to you to decide if you want to seek support and that's what you're doing.

Maybe you could make some notes about what you want to say, and check the notes just before you speak.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know how difficult it can be to try to gather my thoughts sometimes, maybe it would be easier if you listened and then at the end of the meeting talked to someone one-on-one. Get phone numbers and call them, this helped me alot.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I've been going to meetings for over two years now and I still feel like I wipe out every time I share. I never feel like I am making sense. Luckily nobody has kicked me out because of it.

Who says you have to share anyway? You can always pass and just listen. Especially earlier on.

It's none of your business what other people think of you.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bellakeller View Post
I've been going to meetings for over two years now and I still feel like I wipe out every time I share. I never feel like I am making sense. Luckily nobody has kicked me out because of it.

Who says you have to share anyway? You can always pass and just listen. Especially earlier on.

It's none of your business what other people think of you.
Agreed. Also remember, we all drank and drugged for a reason. Usually anxiety and fear of people. The time will come, just sit back and give it some time... Dont feel that you have to do anything you dont want to do (except ofcourse going to the meetings, and not picking up again) But this may happen too, in my case...
Old 12-04-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You dont have to share if you dont want to...have you discussed this with your sponsor, what do they say?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dismember

I also have some trouble sharing. I usually get there early and take a moment to think about my life and my program to think of anything that I should talk about. Even if I do get an idea I often find myself rambling, unable to focus, when it comes to my time to talk.

It bothers me less and less now because the people I go to meetings with are used to my social anxiety. I also try to look at it as if I was in their position. Have you ever heard someone speak awkwardly at a meeting and thought of how awful/bad that person is? I think most people are more sympathetic and understanding, it's ourselves who are the real critics.