Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Just messing around with the sobriety calculator, and that will be my number of sober days on Tuesday.

Wow.

Never thought I would be here. Never thought I could get sober. Never.

30 years of daily drinking. Okay, I only drank after 5....so I'm not 'really' an alcoholic, right?!

I guess Neo inspired this thread. We can get sober. It can happen. I think key for me was KNOWING I need to stop. Doesn't matter if I'm going to be sober on my birthday and Christmas. Doesn't matter if I'll never have a cold beer on the back porch.

What does matter is knowing I'm finally making a positive difference in my life, and those around me. Finally. Long time coming.

Okay.....someone come get this soapbox!

Happy Sober Weekend, SR!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations, Coffee!

Good work!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Thanks, Anna. As you know....it isn't even hard work anymore, is it? Amazing how it turns into being totally right and natural.

Those early months ARE hard work! My wish is that our newly sober members can hang on long enough to know how damn good sobriety feels. To know those early moments that test your sanity are important to becoming sober.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just checked the sobriety calculator and I have 514 days sober!! I knew it was 17 months coming up 8th December (one day at a time, of course) but had no idea of the amount of sober days!!

Thanks for the positive post and I'm glad that I provided you with some inspiration. Thank you so much.

Peace and Love xxx
Old 12-04-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go Coffeenut!
you too Neo!
D
Old 12-04-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job guys!!! This gives everyone inspiration to keep moving forward!!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really enjoy the statements of it feeling right and natural after some months go by. Today is my one week sober. Last week at this time I was retrieving my car from where it got towed to after my DUI. Spent half my pay check that day to get my car out. I have been struggling since thursday craving a drink. I never thought I actually had cravings - thought it was just how when I started I know I couldn't stop. Now, I find myself freaking out wondering "can I do this? do I need to do this?"
I don't feel sick, but alcohol has preoccupied my mind. i went to a really good AA meeting last night and have been throwing myself into my job, which feels good. But even now, at work I'm coming to this thread for inspiration.

Congrats on all your days sober!!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As you know....it isn't even hard work anymore, is it? Amazing how it turns into being totally right and natural.

Yep, I feel the same after a year. It feels so normal to feel so good every morning. It feels so normal to not hate myself anymore. Wow!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Shoot, how'd I miss this?

Congratulations Coffee and Neo Awesome jobs.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Coffeenut: Thanks sooooo much for the well timed thread! I've been reflecting on my sobriety all morning long! And your post was just what I needed to inspire me to keep pushing forward even when times get rough!!!

Congrats to you and Neo on your many many days of sobriety!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great Post Coffeenut! And congrats on your sober time. 900 days!

Like you cofeenut I was a 30+ daily drinker to, I was in a very dark place the last couple years of my drinking, and I think the key for me was I got to the point where I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink, but there was this big problem, I didn't know how to put down the bottle, it took me some time to find that answer! and for me I didn't get sober until I reached out with every bit of me for support.

I got that soapbox cofeenut because I'm right with ya!

Road
Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Bonnie: Keep coming back to SR. This place was my lifeline in those early months. Now, its home....they're stuck with me.

Chloe: Welcome to SR! You are NOT alone. Lots and lots and lots of us have had the feelings that you have had. The trick is learning how to deal with those feelings Sober. And believe it or not....it does become natural, and part of who you have become.

Road: I'm proud to share my soapbox with you!

30 years is a lot of waste. I admire these 'young uns' in here that have the good sense to get clean now. With people like Neo heading that charge, we're certainly headed in the right direction.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats coffee! You are so inspiring...you have definitely helped a lot of others. You rock.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congrats on your forward progress Coffee and everybody else on the road of recovery.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

coffeenut I remember you I tried to quit around the same time as you. Congratulations WOW 900 days. I didn't make it last time so I am back again. Awesome Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Awwww, Ghostly...we're all in this together. Without each other.....don't even want to think about it. You inspire me, as well. Really.

bo.....You're here now and that's what is important. You can do this. You must make it the most important thing in your life.....it's that crucial.

I just didn't think I could do it. I truly didn't. And if I can....you can. One breath at a time. The best part....you really do start to become the person you wanted to be. So slow, but so sure.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

"slow but sure....." You got that right, coffeenut! I haven't had a craving for quite some time until yesterday and today - almost forgot what it was like to have them (and they can be brutal, even after 7 months sobriety). So it was good to read your post and know that you didn't think you could do it at first either.

Grateful for you and your sobriety tonight...... CONGRATS!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

congratulations, coffeenut!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Positive direction :day1. Wow that statement has the healing power of every effort I have made in recovery. Blessed be my friend in recovery.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Zen, that really is it, isn't it? I think Fub has a tagline (where is he, anyway? I miss him) that says something to the effect of 'only the positive, no negative'.

So true. In those early days, You are positively going to quit drinking. No matter which avenue you choose to use, you have chosen the one that is going to work. Doesn't matter what any other person on this world has done, yours is going to work.

And then...as those days become weeks you are happy to be sober! You don't miss sitting in bars with drunks, in fact you don't even want to! Imagine that.

As those weeks become months your life has changed for the better. You are excited to get up every morning and see what's shakin'!

Now, I'm not saying it's a cake walk. I'm not saying you're not going to be pulling your hair out. What I'm saying is....as you gain sobriety, it's easier to attack those things that bug the snot out of you.

Soapbox, People!

I positively agree, Zen.