Notices

Hello Everyone...

Old 12-02-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone...

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself. I've been reading a lot of the posts on here for weeks as I went through my own struggles with getting on the path to sobriety, and it was very always very helpful.

I have been a drinker for many years now. Was hitting the hard stuff pretty bad, mostly rum and whiskey, and last year I finally saw what it was doing to me and how consumed I was by it... all my thoughts were about making it to the end of the day and what there was to drink. I managed to get off that route and pretty much quit the hard stuff except for the occasional binge which I would always regret. I also started drinking more wine and beer, with the same pattern being that I would drink a moderate amount for awhile but it would quickly escalate to more then I was intending or wanting to drink... and that's pretty much been the last year or so. I've not had a very good last few months - loss of a pet, my job ran out, etc... and more often then not I turned to the bottle to try to escape whatever it was I wanted to escape from at the time. Of course at the end of the "escape" I was worse off as then I would feel junky, be mad at myself - and still have to deal with the problems anyway.

I've done "ok" the last month or so with several dry periods. The first day is always horrible but each day gets so much better...yet a couple of days into being sober the drink grabs me and says "hey, remember me? Just a small bottle of wine won't hurt..." and then the pattern starts again. Well, no more. I've decided that with today the time has come to make it stick for good. I'm really seeing the hurt I am putting my friends and family through by repeating this pattern (I've been open with them about having a problem, and of course they are all supportive - but I'm driving them away with my actions).

So... that's my story. I see December as the first chapter to a new life for myself. Thanks in advance for the support I know this community will give & I look forward to reading and posting more.

Eric
Old 12-02-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eric,

Welcome!

I am so glad you have joined us.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Eric. Congrats on your decision to change.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Eric

I tried many times to find a more comfortable accommodation with alcohol - but I always ended up in the same place.

I hope December is your month too - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere. Good for you on deciding to stop drinking. I'd suggest seeing your doctor for help in getting safely thru the initial withdrawal (detox stage). It only lasts a few days to a week but can be rough, even dangerous, so best to be safe.

We can be of even more help to you now that you've joined the family.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome....

Good to see you have joined us
Old 12-02-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. December would be a great month to quit!