Notices

Groundhog Day - The Movie

Old 11-30-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Groundhog Day - The Movie

They say "laughter is the best medicine". Well, the other night we watched my favourite movie of all time "Groundhog Day". Swapped the copious quantities of Cabernet for a nice cup of tea and laughed and laughed! Bill Murray really is something else. I remember watching this when it first came out (around 1993) and thinking that I would get kicked out of the theatre if I made too much noise!

There is a bit of a spoiler coming up but I think it's worth the point....

What was interesting was that Bill Murray (the character) was trying to get the attention Andie McDowell. He first tried to understand all the things that SHE liked and wanted. It didn't work. Finally, he worked on himself, just himself to become a better person. I made this point because of the posts regarding "how to get my partner back etc".

Come to think of it, Steve Covey (7 Habits of Highly Effective Managers) has one habit being "if you want to change anything, draw a circle around your feet and change whatever's in the circle".

p.s. number 2 movie is "Shawshank Redemption" and #3 is Apocolypse Now.

Rosco.
Class of Nov 2010, front row, neat desk, pencil sharpened!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

GD - "Bing"!!!!! loved that part. and also how when Murray was rushing through the stages to score Andy McDowell, especially the part where he gave the kids snowjobs and said, "hahahah I love kids".... because he was getting so bored doing the same thing over and over again.

Babe.. I got you babe!

SR - I can recite every line from that film, and much like Andy when he was put in the hole for being obtuse (listening to Mozart from memory) can listen to the whole movie without it being on.

AN - liked it but not a top 3...
Old 11-30-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RGB

Great movie! For the last few years I've been waking up every Monday with a hangover, repeating the same steps every time: Hiding in my cubicle and avoiding people all day. Murray's character eventually figured out how to change the routine until he got a desired result
Old 11-30-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Didn't realize you were from OZ. My father is from Brisbane so we used to have to watch all sorts of Aussie films growing up. The other night was funny to see Gibson in "Tim" - I still really liked that film all these years later.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One of the things I'm trying to do to is switch up my behavior so as not to get so bent out of shape when my tween daughter "forgets" to do a routine task. Now, when she hears me say, "Is it Groundhog Day?" she knows what's up, and humor saves the day. =)
Old 11-30-2010, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your father must be a top bloke Joe LOL.
a lot of great people come from there
LOL

D
Old 11-30-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

It's funny that there is this post about the movie Groundhog Day. I compared my life during the thick of my disease to Groundhog Day. Wake up in the morning, maybe eat something, head to work, come home drink and smoke pot then pass out. The next day would be a repeat of the day previous and so on, and so on and so on. Glad those days are over.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Your father must be a top bloke Joe LOL.
a lot of great people come from there
LOL

D
he is indeed a top bloke - I still have close family there but I have never been.... My brother went for a year and loved every minute of it.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Visit in winter Joe LOL

I love the movie too btw and used to wake up saying 'GROUNDHOG DAY!!!'... a lot.
not any more tho

D
Old 11-30-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Very appropriate analogy Rosco! Thanks for sharing that! I loved those movies too. Another one with a similar theme of changing ones self is and adapting is "50 First Dates" with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good share Roscoe! Couldn't agree with you more!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

SR - I can recite every line from that film, and much like Andy when he was put in the hole for being obtuse (listening to Mozart from memory) can listen to the whole movie without it being on.

SAme here! Love Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi JoeCree - yes, Brisbane is a very nice city and it's very close to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast! I wonder if Oprah is going to visit there on her Australian tour?

Anyway, another thought - renting comedy could be a help? I know of someone who rented all the series of "Friends" and then watched them all twice! It took quite some time but then they were in a major depressed/anxious state (now mostly recovered).

Rosco
Life=fun; Alcohol=devastation.

p.s. my favourite part in Groundhog Day is when it wakes up, and during the "rise and shine..." he smashes the clock radio!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YouAreNumberOne View Post
Hi JoeCree - yes, Brisbane is a very nice city and it's very close to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast! I wonder if Oprah is going to visit there on her Australian tour?

Anyway, another thought - renting comedy could be a help? I know of someone who rented all the series of "Friends" and then watched them all twice! It took quite some time but then they were in a major depressed/anxious state (now mostly recovered).
yeah I think renting movies are an excellent escape mechanism. One thing I have found lately is I am bringing my son to the movie theatre more often - we saw Harry Potter 7 the other night - it was too dark for him but we enjoyed the time together.

I used to watch at least 3-5 movies a week for the longest time, but this was before marriage and especially kids. What I still enjoy doing is buying the entire season to a tv show and watch it all in one day if possible. FOr example the series Dexter is excellent - I wait 'till the season is over then watch all the episodes in a row - much more fun, i guess it goes with my obsessive behaviour lol.

I would definitely recommend watching all comedies in a row, it soudns like a great idea.. I would recommend Curb your Enthusiasm... very funny>
Old 12-02-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have found the movie renting thing to be helpful, also. I think my next rent will be Eat, Pray, Love..