The forest path

Old 11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The forest path

So, I just posted something on TakingCharge999’s thread (Feeling trapped at work..) about my recovery being kind of a path and got to thinking about it some more.

I don't know if it will makes sense to any one else, but I’ve really started thinking of my recovery as a hiking path that can do some pretty crazy loops through the woods. It's never a straight path - or at least not usually - some loops bring me back to an area I think I've already been at, maybe several times, but I'm really farther along than I was.

Sometimes the light through the trees is stunning; sometimes it’s dark and a bit scary. Sometimes it feels like an impossible climb, but then the forest seems to fall away as you reach the crest of a hill and it is absolutely breath-taking in its depth and views. Sometimes, like a section of the forest that's been hit by a fire, it's not very hospitable right now, but the promise for new growth and beauty is there, waiting. Maybe the next time my path loops through that area the promise will be visible.

Does any one else use visuals like this to remind themselves to keep moving forward? Do you want to share?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, I can see the scene perfectly. The only addition for me is my recovery friends are on the path with me. Some are up ahead, encouraging me to stay on the path. Others walk nearby, and every once in awhile I reach out and grab a hand when the path gets rough or looks dark and scary. They are also the ones who pick me up and brush the sticks and dirt off my rear end when I stumble and fall flat...

Thank GOD for my recovery friends who walk with me. Thanks for the lovely picture, TU
Old 11-30-2010, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

That is beautiful TheUncertainty. And makes me smile because after I had begun my own Recovery, I also began to look at it as a journey. But I personally began to see my entire life as a journey. It is a wonderful way to view what you go through as you learn and change and grow. Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
Yes, I can see the scene perfectly. The only addition for me is my recovery friends are on the path with me. Some are up ahead, encouraging me to stay on the path. Others walk nearby, and every once in awhile I reach out and grab a hand when the path gets rough or looks dark and scary. They are also the ones who pick me up and brush the sticks and dirt off my rear end when I stumble and fall flat...

Thank GOD for my recovery friends who walk with me. Thanks for the lovely picture, TU
Thank you, CatsPajamas, for showing me a piece that I tend to forget. I'm not alone.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rising from the Ashes

When I look backwards in my life, I visualize it as individual "stepping blocks". I actually can set a definite period of time for each one of my "stepping stones". Such as the early period of my marriage, the period of time I lived in Japan, the period of time I lived in Maryland, my period of time I have lived in Texas to the point that my daughter completed suicide, my suicide survivor period, the period of time of accepting my daughter's death until my massive stroke, and finally my present period of life after my stroke.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your visuals remind me of a precious little book called, "Hind's Feet in High Places" that is about the internal spiritual journey to the "High Places."

You might like it, especially if you are female. If the other gender, the allegory of "Pilgrim's Progress" also reminds me of your visuals.

So no, you're not alone in visualizing your journey in this way. Isn't our HP good to give us a brain that comes up with this stuff to help us on our journey?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mine's not quite as majestic, but I always imagine myself traveling through a long tunnel sometimes I can see the light shining through the other side but sometimes it's too dark and I need to get around the corner before I can see it again.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rising from the Ashes

That's scary, BklynGrl! Your visionalization is very similiar to the only thing I can remember when I suffered from my vascular dementia. Do you feel like you are caught somewhere you don't want to be at? I am a firm believer in the power of intuition that can occur through visionalizations and dreams.

Intuition is the power of obtaining knowledge that cannot be acquired either by inference or observation, by reason or experience. As such, intuition is thought of as an original, independent source of knowledge, since it is designed to account for just those kinds of knowledge that other sources do not provide.

Intuition is what you use to find the purpose of your life and your place in the world. Once you awaken your inner guide by unlocking the wisdom of your subconscious mind, you already know what to do. Explanations usually come along with intuitive messages on a "need to know basis." When the bigger, more important messages need to surface, they will, so pay attention! Listen with your heart. We now know that the heart has many more neurons than it would need just for circulation of blood.

When you listen to your intuition it connects you with a greater knowledge. That part of you has an overview of your life that has your best interest at heart. It can provide an oasis of peace in the midst of chaos, bring you to harmony, help you release negativity, and give you confidence to take action and prepare for change in your life. It, also, can be a valuable guide as you take steps to create your dreams.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

theuncertainty,

this is beautiful. and, oh, so helpful. since breaking up with ABF i have experienced some pretty strange emotions. It's like a mixture of happy/sad/scared/tired/unsure...but visualizing this path is so comforting. It helps me to 'see' that this is temporary and that there is a beautiful vista up ahead!

Thanks again!!
craven
Old 12-01-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phoenixthebird View Post
That's scary, BklynGrl! Your visionalization is very similiar to the only thing I can remember when I suffered from my vascular dementia. Do you feel like you are caught somewhere you don't want to be at? I am a firm believer in the power of intuition that can occur through visionalizations and dreams.
Yes and no. I left my husband four months ago and this week I finalized most of my divorce paperwork. Hopefully Monday I can go and file. I absolutely know I'm making the right decision. It's just the getting him out of my life that's been hard. I guess that's where the tunnel comes into play. I know the light at the end of that tunnel is my divorce being offical. Make sense?