Notices

A warning to everyone

Old 11-29-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

A warning to everyone

I just got some awful news. The father of a very close friend of my daughters died the day before Thanksgiving. The girl, who is a wonderful, funny, girl is only 14. She had a close relationship with him, even though he and her mother were divorced.
We are waiting on the autopsy results. Best case scenario is a heart attack due to some new medications he was on. Unfortunately, he also liked to drink, was addicted to prescription pain meds, and his wife said he was back to coke and heroin, so it could've been an overdose.
You never know when your last day on this earth is. And as far as I know, most people who overdose, do so accidentally. So please, for yourself, and for those who love you so fiercely, do whatever it takes to get clean.
Through the posts I've read and responded to, and for all the help and advice I've gotten, I truly do think of you all as family. We are all here with the same goal in mind, and I want you to know how precious each and every one of you are to me. So please.. get the help you need to make your future as bright as it can be.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's so sad! My heart goes out to his family. Thank you for sharing and thank you for the encouragement. It's always good to be reminded of what we can lose.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had a couple of people that died this year due to alcohol..one was only 52 and the other was 59. I say it all the time but it scared me sober. Thanks for sharing..sorry about this preventable loss of life.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Julez))) - so sorry about this girl's father. It's a sobering reminder of one of the reasons I stay in recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks for the post - it really touched me and I hope others reading will take your advice to heart. Alcoholism is deadly and hurts so many people around us.

Prayers for his family and yours......
Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank You for the reminder. I too had a friend die this year for similar reasons he was in his 40's. Another overdosed (he was a doctor and 40) he was in the hospital, touch and go for a month. He will live but there are permanent problems. It is important for us all to remember how precious life is and that sobriety is a matter of life and death.

Prayers for his family.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that. I've seen people close to me die from OD'ing. It's tragic and as the others said a frightening reminder that this our lives we are fighting for. in my thoughts and prayers...
Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for yr daughter, her friend, and friend's family, Julez

D
Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

I still feel something so empty too and I understand the loss. I think it has changed me as a person. When we drink and cant seem to fight the fight, somewhere there must be light at the end of the tunnel. I guess it depends on which tunnel we choose.
My love to everyone who is still fighting. JJ
Old 11-30-2010, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's a sad reminder to me of this fact:

"Don't wait for the Last Judgement, it takes place every day." Albert Camus

I'm going to make Today as wonderful as it can be, 'cause it's really all I've got - just Today.