Notices

Around heavy drinking this weekend

Old 11-29-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Around heavy drinking this weekend

First time so far (been sober for 3 mos). They were drinking exactly the way I used to. Kind of constantly but never getting totally bombed. Like they each had 2 bottles of wine over...9 hours (1pm to 10pm). (not that I never got bombed. I did, plenty but my forte was the perma-drinking).

Anyway it was very hard. Way harder than I thought it would be. I had to go to work in the middle of it and cried a good part of my way in. But in the end, it was good. Anti-climactic even. I saw that their day wasn't THAT much different to mine. Their morning after was though. And the next night I could actually play through what my day would have been like if I had joined them. How I'd have gone straight for the bottle again to deal with the hangover. How this morning I'd have woke up hungover again. How right now at this moment I'd be drinking again (it's almost dinnertime, right?). How I could never stop at one or two or 6. How the next day I ALWAYS wanted to drink again, etc.

So that's me. I survived and am better for it, I think.

Gotta love the holidays Hope you all had a great weekend!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through it.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't put myself in those kinds of situations anymore SSIL75...I find it all too tedious and boring.

I'm glad you got through it though.

D
Old 11-29-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you made it!

Perma-drinking was my forte too. Thing that was funny is that I always associated cooking Thanksgiving dinner with drinking...so there were a number of times when the thought popped into my head that I should be drinking while basting the bird, making the pies, mashing the potatoes ...etc. but what surprised me was how easy and well the dinner came together when made sober:-) plus I found this yummy non-alcoholic beverage for special occasions called 12...it went great with the Turkey!
Old 11-29-2010, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
31/10/10

SSIL - thanks for the post and being an inspring quitter!
vee
Old 11-29-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's a good list of things that you don't have as problems to contend with now.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't put myself in those kinds of situations anymore SSIL75...I find it all too tedious and boring.

I'm glad you got through it though.

D
I didn't really have a choice. I mean, I guess I could have told them not to drink but that is nms. It was my husband and sister. She was visiting...
Old 11-29-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I want my house to always be a safe place, so I have a 'my house my rules' thing going with alcohol...but I realise that may not suit everyone.

Well done again.

D
Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BKP

I hear ya, I ran a few miles before the mayhem began at the inlaws. I offered to drive anyone who needed it home, that way my body was too tired to be tempted - Exercise. My mind was set on a goal, being the ride for others. This and i continued to take trips to the store, go for cold walks in the upstate NY wind and spend time drinking coffee, Diet Ginger ale and continue to work the steps. Love ya all. Godbless ya.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
BKP

no hangovers the day after is the best gift to being sober.