Notices

Hi everyone, I'm new!

Old 11-28-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'm new!

Hello everyone,

I just joined today and I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm 31 and Irish and I have a drinking problem. I woke up this morning in despair after another night's drinking (2 bottles of wine, my standard amount) and started surfing the web for help, and I ended up here. It feels almost like a miracle that I found this place - I'd always wished there was somewhere where I could write about my struggle with alcohol, get advice and not be judged - and now I've found it. And I'm so glad!

I've been browsing the site for most of the day and it seems so supportive and friendly. I'm thinking of maybe starting a blog to give me somewhere to vent when I'm feeling low. I really, really hope that this will help me tackle my problem and resist the urge to crack open the bottle! I want to stop sneaky secret drinking and get my life back again!
Old 11-28-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are interested in improving your life
Welcome to our recovery community.....
Old 11-28-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Marilyn
You'll find a lot of support and understanding here

D
Old 11-28-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you found SR, Marilyn - I felt like it was the "miracle" I needed too! It also kept me company during those rough first days.

Congratulations on reaching out for support - it's not easy for us to do, but oh so worth it!
Old 11-28-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Marilyn - I felt the same when I first came here. Everyone was so encouraging and not judgmental. (Like others in my life.) SR has helped me get sober and stay that way after a lifetime of drinking.

If I'd had the sense at 31 to seek help, my life would not have turned into the horrific mess it did. So much loss and chaos for no reason! This never has to be you. Please let us know how you're doing - we care.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Originally Posted by MarilynM View Post
Hello everyone,

I just joined today and I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm 31 and Irish and I have a drinking problem.

I've been browsing the site for most of the day and it seems so supportive and friendly.
First of all I'd like to say welcome to SR, it is indeed a friendly environment with loads of support. I noticed that you mentioned that you have a drinking problem. One thing that I've learned in the course of my recovery is that I do not have a problem with drugs and alcohol. They were but symptoms of my disease of alcoholism and addiction. The problem I had was with me. I just used drugs and alcohol as a means of running away from those problems, then they stopped working for me. The greatest gift I have in my life today is a loving God who showed me ths way to the rooms of alcoholics anonymous. I appreciate you'd share and do welcome you to SR. Keep posting here and you will find much love and support.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Marilyn!

I used to be a sneaky drinker too and I hated being like that.

You will find lots of support here.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dismember

Welcome Marilyn.

No judgment or cross stares here! Hope you'll come here any time you need.

I think a blog sounds like an excellent idea. Getting sober leaves one with a lot of confusing thoughts to deal with for most people; I find that in writing thoughts out they become much clearer than they were just in my head.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone for the lovely replies and support. It's so good to know that there are people out there who have gone through, and are going through, the same situation. It gives me hope.

It's after midnight here in Ireland so I'm going to sleep now, and I'll come back again tomorrow to re-read through all your lovely posts and have a think about a plan of action!
Old 11-28-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I joined a few weeks ago wanting to change my life for the better - this website and community has made that belief a certainty.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Marilyn! This site has been valuable to me during the last couple of weeks. Not only are the people here understanding, friendly, and helpful, but it also gives me a extra sense of accountability.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to this amazing forum and I wish you all the best to start off your new sober life, we are all here to support each other xx
Old 11-28-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phytoman View Post
welcome marilyn! This site has been valuable to me during the last couple of weeks. Not only are the people here understanding, friendly, and helpful, but it also gives me a extra sense of accountability.
qft
Old 11-28-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dear MarilynM,

Thank YOU for a lovely post and WELCOME to SR. You will find non judgemental, support and encouragement to comfort you in your New Journey of Sobriety. The Chat Room is a good source of support also as well as we have a Recovery Meeting on Friday night's and I know another meeting on Saturday and I believe a Tuesday Meeting. Check out the Chat Meetings Forum for details.

I hope to see you around lots and wish you much happiness and health in your chosen new life!

Love Pancake xo
Old 11-28-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the board!

And welcome to a new way of life. Take it one day at a time. Come on the board and post. Get in contact with AA or another program. Find other people like you and talk talk talk. Sobriety is a gift. You can do it!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Please keep us posted on how you are doing (I'm running out the door or I'd type more). Glad you made it this far!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Marilyn

I posted for the first time, yesterday. I've found the forum to be of great benefit. Life it too short to fall into and stay in the alcohol trap. And what a trap it is. I wish my old man would have warned me how deep it really was (but then I probably wouldn't have listened to him ).

Best of luck, believe in yourself and all the best. Rosco.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A warm welcome to the family! You've come to a great place for support and understanding. I come to this place every day and even tho it's an anonymous place, I too feel a sense of 'accountablility' here and am honest because I want to be honest.

I am so glad to welcome another alcohol refugee into our recovery 'lifeboat'.