Notices

Posting Helps

Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Posting Helps

It does help so I'll keep doing it. If your in ealry days like me and find it useful keep posting!

Day five- and still sober. I have a bit of a sense of euphoria today. It comes and goes. I've heard about that on the board. As well It's happened to me before when I tried to stop and I usually felt so good I wanted to celebrate. Not this time. I see it for what it is. Just another part of the process. Not an end to itself.

Before I would be thinking this:
"WooHoo. 3 days no drinking. I should get loaded. I can handle it."

So dumb of me.

Trying to stop without knowing too much about the mental ups and downs (that I learned more about on the board) made the others times much harder. It's still really hard but I'm trying. One day at a time. I keep repeating that to myself.

I noticed my personality has lightened up a bit too today. Side effect of the alcohol leaving my system I guess. I like thinking about that. It's leaving my body, I'm getting better.

Reading the posts about Thanksgiving gives me a lot to think about (I'm here in the great White North so we had out thanksgiving a while ago). Social situations are really difficult. I drink alone almost exclusively so don't like to tip my hand on the amount of alcohol I can consume especially around others so I watch my intake at social stuff. I would sneak more to drink if I could.

I was never a black out drunk (it happed on rare occasions). I was a happy drunk. I never freaked out, never did anything to anybody when I drank.

I've hurt myself a couple of times but it has been rare. Those were scary times. I fell once, drunk and alone putting my hand through a window pane. I didn't even remember till the next morning when I got up and saw I had cut myself. How did I do that? Then I saw the window. I felt so stupid. I could have cut my wrist. I was alone. Bad way to die.

I guess we all react to alcohol differently. In the past couple of years. Beer has been almost like water. I could drink and drink and drink it. Not getting the buzz I wanted from that. I had to switch it up from beer and wine to wine and spirits. I was getting kinda used to that too. What was next mainlining grain alcohol?

Another bad memory that just came back to me. I remember being so desperate and broke 5 years ago I tried to drink mouth wash. I just remembered that. I never did it again, but yeah, I have actually done that.

This is the first time I've tried to quit and actually thought about what I've been doing. What it means. It's a different process for me.

Before I would just say, "Ok, no drinking. Just don't do it you wimp. Aren't you a man? Don't you have control?" I would kind of shame myself into it. Not this time. I'm not going to kick myself around to do it. Gota find some kind of peace to this.

Posting helps.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

Posting certainly does help!! I spend a lot of time on this website reading and posting. Especially on nights like tonight when I'm not sure if I will find a ride to a meeting since most everyone I know is a part of this show they are having tonight.. So sitting here browsing and adding my on contributions helps a lot.

Thanks for sharing and keep coming back.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety Tend!

Posting does help! For me, reading helps too. I pretty much leave SR up on my computer and look in throughout my day.

It's amazing the memories - both good and bad - that have returned since I stopped using.

Keep it up and keep on posting!
Old 11-27-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Tendencies,

Yes, posting helps me too. Reading other posts helps me. I am very familiar with the bouts of euphoria, or even just short stretches of peacefulness. I think, I'm feeling pretty normal again, so of course I can drink.

Good that you are recognizing the ups and downs for what they are.

Keep posting!!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well!

And, yes, posting does help. I have been here for a long time and I never fail to be inspired when I come here.