I'm free.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face I'm free.

I've been single-handedly supporting my friend through his drug and alcohol addiction. I stuck around when everyone else had had enough, trying to keep him alive without enabling him. I knew I was doing everything I could, but I still felt like a failure when he dropped out of school. That was last week, and I'm surprised at how free I feel now that he is back home with his family. I can work on my own recovery (26 days sober!). I'm too far away to pick him up off the floor, drive him around town, lend him money. These things needed to end, and they did. I am free.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you on your 26 days!!

It must have been tough, taking care of both of you. now you can focus on you. that is a good thing
best wishes!
chicory
Old 11-26-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WTS
It does feel better when we no longer take care of someone who should be able to take care of themselves. Now you can concentrate on yourself and your own recovery. Congrats on 26 days......one day at a time, right!!?
gentle hugs
Old 11-27-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was just thinking about something,how come we think we are so strong and capable of taking care of others besides ourselves? i realised i've been imagining super powers within myself ,for a long while i thought i can talk care of myself and take care of exab ( do all the stuff for him,leng him money,help him study.....etc) now i'm done with all this,i'm no superwoman and i realise it. it's hard enough taking care of me without having to take care of someone else!!! Hope you are where i am.Just take care of you ,it's hard enough.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh and congratulations. my hugs and prayers.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

That's great! Enjoy!