Sobriety after prison

Old 11-26-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety after prison

Just wondering if anyone's A had to serve prison time, and if they were able to sustain sobriety after their release?
Old 11-26-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, my EXAH was in prison three times. No, he did not maintain sobriety after release.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Yes, he was in prison, no he went right back to alcohol and drugs.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies. Can I ask, where is your A now? Do you have any contact, and do they see their children if they have any?
Old 11-26-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had no children with my EXAH. He died a few years ago at the tender age of 47, complications due to AIDS, which he contracted as a direct result of his lifestyle.

I missed getting that 'gift' from him by about two weeks.

God has been very good to me.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi my xabf served lots of time in jail and came out and went back to the alcohol,although sometimes he came out and waited a few weeks and i would start to beleive that he was better but like always he went back to drinking.

The last time he got out was the 12th of october this year and by the 18th he was back inside,and that is where he is till sometime in january and i have had no contact with him at all and do not intend to for obvious reasons.

We did all the false promise thing while he was in jail and after 2yrs i am finally at a point where i see it for what it is and i am moving on with my life (slowly but surely)

xx ghirl xx
Old 11-26-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did a little time but no I didn't sober up at that time. I did take advantage of the "forced sobriety" as someone put it, but I actually sobered up later when I had zero legal difficulties in my life.

Also, I have said this before and it is hard to hear but IMO it bears repeating. Being in prison/jail does not mean they are not using. In prison, in particuar, you can get ANY drug in there, jail not so much. The prison guards themselves are the suppliers. So even if you are locked up, if you have access to money, have a skill that is in demand behind bars, or are willing to trade sexual favors, you can pretty much get anything in there. Sorry to be so graphic but this has been my experience.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

I did a small stint in the county jail, "the farm" as its fled over here. The first thing I did when I got out was hit the nearest liquor store, then called a connect. The sad part about it was that I was in there for alcohol related crimes. I'm clean and sober now, thanks to God.... One thing I'd like to say is that just because you're locked up doesn't mean you can't drink or use. The last time I was there there were a multitude of party favors, so to speak. I saw people smoking weed, people had meth, coke, H and loads of prunoe. I stayed away from stuff inside though, why I didn't when I was released, cause I'm an alcoholic and addict.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi - I served 18 months in prison as a result of DUI's which revoked my probation for a completely different crime; I have been sober for two years since then. It's possible, but certainly it sounds like it's difficult for most! I made a promise to myself and my HP that I would be a better servant and a less selfish woman once I got out. And, one day at a time, it's working.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mt EXAH was released from prison 3 months ago and I am proud to report been sober and clean since. He still has alot ahead of him but if he stays that way anything is possible. I'm actually enjoying getting to know this man. He seems to be changed and I can tell when we talk it's not like the previous 18 yrs., something is different, ain't figured it out yet. So it is possible, if they truly want it.
This was his first time in prison and I think he had alot of time to think about where he had gone wrong and how to fix his life. He was locked up for about 16 months and I divorced him while he was in. That wasn't why I divorced him he had other alcohol and substance abuse issues that were left unchecked. I hope he succeeds and stays sober but that's all on him. I do see him making good and sound decisions daily. he lives in the salvation army and is making the best of the situation. He knows now that only in time will we believe his words if they match his actions.