Notices

Some experience required

Old 11-26-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some experience required

For me, and I would guess for most of us, our relapses happen when our devious minds convince us that we've "figured out" how to control our drinking.

Whether it was my 2 day sobriety or my 4 week sobriety it didn't matter. My first relapse, my tenth relapse, my 25th relapse they were all the same. "I've figured it out! I can drink again and just moderate my intake" ....and it's off to the races.

I know I've been an "experienced alcoholic" for a long time now. I was very good at it. I think now, finally, I'm an experienced sober person. Yesterday at family Thanksgiving with lots of folks drinking and a general rowdy and fun atmosphere I looked at all the wine and beer and booze and I my brain started up it's conversation again. And I could hear the words and start to understand the logic. And then I just smiled. My memories of so many failed attempts, and my new experience of being wonderfully sober kicked in and I found it almost comical that I had listened to that voice so many times in the past.

I'm approaching 9 months sober and am starting to get good at it. I'll continue to practice my new craft. As with other things I'm hoping as I get more experienced it will start to become easier, and hopefully some day second nature. But I think I can start to answer any ads I see for "Wanted: Sober Person, Experience Required". Thank You SR!
Old 11-26-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Beautifully stated!! Happy Thanksgiving! What an incredible thing to be grateful for. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats good to hear:-)

Not my experience though...i drank again because things got too much...either things got really good or, what i perceived as, really bad and i would need a drink to handle it...i found out that i had a living problem!
Old 11-26-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i am proud to be the designated driver for holidays now. i volunteer to do this as extra insurance against being tempted....it means a lot to me to be considered responsible.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Emmy! Beautifully put! Fandy, I volunteer to DD often now too. Sometimes I don't care about myself, but I do care about my friends, family, and other people on the road.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

Well done, Emmy

As for "Sober person wanted: experience required" consider yourself doing pro bono work for all those fresh in sobriety here on this forum.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for sharing your experience. I too feel strong in my sobriety and the temptation's just not there anymore. It's been nearly a year since my last relapse (my LAST) and the memory of the physical/mental sickness-unto-death is still clear in my mind, like it was only yesterday. Just the thought of drinking is repulsive to me now....
Old 11-26-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Emmy, glad you made it thru successfully. Posts like these give everyone hope.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post Emmy - it feels so good to shut down that dialogue doesn't it?

D
Old 11-26-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, Emmy, it took me a very long time to learn that I could hear the voice, recognize it for what it was, and let it go. I wasn't controlled by the voice, or by my emotions. What an AHA! moment that was.

Good for you!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Congrats on your successful sober Thanksgiving!