Question

Old 11-25-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

MY DAS has seemed pretty good these days when I do seem him. However, every week at least it seems I call and he's sleeping tells me he doesn't feel well and is always going to the doctor for some new sickness. Ear infection, strep whatever that week's is. Any idea as to why he is always sick, would this be an indication that he is using again
Old 11-25-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I never noticed illness as part of my son's addiction, in fact he did remarkably well for someone who slept in the street and in shelters.

If you are concerned about his health, maybe try talking to his doctor. He may not discuss it with you, but he may put your mind at rest.

Hugs
Old 11-25-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tend to be leary when my husband starts to want to sleep a lot and "not feel good" because for him it can be an indication of depression and stress that he's not coping well with or there have been times when it's been withdraws. If he's getting scripts for antibiotics though, that's different than getting scripts for things he can abuse/sell.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's hard not to worry about them. I also never noticed illness as a part of my son's addiction.

gentle hugs
Old 11-27-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did, my son was always tired, but must mean he is getting the flu, or maybe a cold. Could be because he was high or inbetween getting high. Doesnt hurt to take them to the Dr.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool

Hey jacksdaughter ---

I'm pretty much in agreement with islandcat on this one. Your son sounds exactly like an old friend of mine. She was on a methadone maintenance program, but she'd also do herion.....got a 'nice' high on all dat....

When I'd phone her, she'd be so out of it.....I could barely understand what she was saying (total 'mush-mouth'), and she'd often fall asleep during the conversation.

Her excuses to me were exactly like your son's to you. She'd say stuff like....:

1) "Gee, Noelle, I don't know what's happening;
2) "I'm just sooo tired all the time"
3) "I just don't have any energy anymore;
4) "I'm just so sick; I don't know what's the matter with me......"

My answers, just before hanging up were usually along these lines.....:

1) "What's happening is you're high;
2) "You're not tired; you're just nodding; you're high;
3) "Again, you're just high;
4) "Well, &^% girl; I know, heck EVERYBODY knows; .........YOU'RE HIGH!!!!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, I'm not saying this is what's going on in your house; it's just my experience with one of my ole using buddies (actually more than one, but who's counting.....LOLOL). I could just be way out in left field.

You've been given a lot of good suggestions on here.....checking in with a doctor, and/or a psychiatrist/therapist/counsellor; these are all great suggestions, and get my seconds.

I'm sorry you're going through all this. If you haven't already looked into it, you might check out naranon/alanon; it's for folks who are 'friends and/or family' of addicts. This can help you regardless of what happens with your son.....

I'll be keeping you and yours in my prayers and thoughts.....

(o:
NoelleR
Old 11-28-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Silly me......it wasn't a sign for my son because his DOC was meth--he was a ball of fire when he was using. Noelle's explanation cleared that up for me. It would entirely depend upon the DOC.

gentle hugs
Old 11-28-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wink A Wee FYI

Psssssst.....wanna know a li'll secret about A's and their DOC....?....at least from my ole perception, and my ole perspective, as an active A....

No matter what you (that's generic 'you' not anyone here) would put in front of me (be it alcohol, uppers, downers, over and arounders; hallucinogenics, muscle relaxers, opiates, opioids, perscription meds, street drugs, etc., ad infinitum) ....... THAT was my DOC at that moment.......and especially when you (again, that general 'you' --- not anyone here on SR) could give me....MORE!

(o:
NoelleR